Need Opinions

Looks to me to be nearly exactly what he asked...

Asking "what would you do" is vastly different from "has anybody done this and is it worthwhile".

Successful completion of an online course is highly dependent on the individual taking the course. It requires a lot of self motivation, discipline and time management skills to complete what is, essentially, a self directed learning module. This says nothing of the course facilitator on the other end of the computer and how well s/he manages the class activities and assignments.

One person's experience is not necessarily going to translate to another. You will need to reflect on what type of learner you are and whether or not you have the motivation and discipline to complete the online learning process.

Personally, I've had mixed success with online classes. Some have been very good classes. Others have not. So without much more detail about what you're facing I can't say one way or another whether I would pursue the online option at this time.

You know yourself best. You know the situation best. You'll make the right decision for you.

I'll echo Dwayne, Chris, and Mike's sentiments that online classes take a lot of self-discipline to stay focused on, and I think that in general doing online education requires more self-study and self-motivation than a traditional classroom, but I'll also add that I have had great luck with online classes as well (in fact, my BSHS in paramedicine is all online, seeing as I'm taking through an out of state university). It all depends on you and how well you do in online classes.

Speaking of which, I should probably be working on homework right now instead of dicking around on here... :whistle:

Thanks everyone for the feedback, Ive been tossing it around for a while, i wouldn't mind doing the online but i just feel without running mock scenarios and keeping fresh on the skills i don't get to perform often (IO's, intubations, etc) it's going to effect how proficient i am when i hit the field full time. I've considered transferring institutions but not sure if my credits would transfer

• Like 1

I have to admit, I think you made a wise choice, although I did not know switching was an option. Hopefully all or a majority of your credites will be able to follow you. Will the new school let you "challenge or test out" of courses?

I write training courses that are used on line, but ther are definitely some courses that should not be taught on line.

There are courses that require the interactions of students with each other and with instructors all in real time and I think medical courses fit that bill.

Good Luck in your new program..

What strikes me the most is that I keep waiting for erice2592 to say something like, "But will people hire me the same if I have online or brick and mortar education?"

But instead he seems stuck on what will make him the best, most competent medic.

That's just cool as hell...unusual, but really, really cool...

Thank you Dwayne, that means allot, I just want to transition from being in school to the field as a very competent and knowledgeable medic. I don't know what it is that i do, but I've had similar compliments on my clinical's, Being only 19 years old I'm glad i'll be able to provide many years of quality care to those in need. Which is why i asked about the differences in education. I just want to give 110% to whichever path i choose

• Like 1

Sounds like some very serious and mature thinking in this process. You deserve the compliments. Keep it up..

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I would say it's all up to your learning style. I'm a great independent learner, but when I know I have to go to class and explain everything things change a little bit. I put my heart and soul into learning this stuff. It's up to you to decide how you will do that. Good luck, remember people will count on you.

I've taken online courses and the traditional 'brick and mortar' classes, and find that when I have questions, I want immediate feedback/answers/direction rather than having to wait (sometimes up to a week or more) for a response from the instructor. I also found that with the traditional classes, when we were doing the 'hands on stuff', it was easier to have my skills evaluated/corrected.

How long would the wait be for the next class to start?

Since it's only the second semester of the course, would you have to restart at the begining again? I don't see this as a 'problem', since it gives you a chance to hit the 'problem areas' from the first semester and help you retain the knowledge.