AHA vs. ASHI CPR

c9b5

My CPR certification expires in a few months and I'm planning to get re-certified at the squad I volunteer since they provide free training. I've always be AHA certified and just discovered that the certification my squad offers is ASHI.

Anyone know anything about the differences between AHA & ASHI?

Ok. From what I've read ASHI is equivalent to AHA in all 50 states in the US as regards cert acceptance for professional lifesavers (CNA's, EMT's, Medics, and so forth). I'm currently working under an ARC cert but most of my coworkers are AHA certified simply because my company was based in Illinois and that's more common over there. I'm going to be taking the AHA instructor class in a couple months (it's free for us and our company needs another one so why not?:-D) and I've gone over the teaching materials already. As far as I can tell the ARC and AHA courses are identical. The only difference is the movies they show and those are just different actors and such as opposed to a different message. I haven't had anything to do with ASHI yet but let me paste this:

• Endorsed, accepted, approved, or meets the requirements of 2,000 state regulatory agencies and occupational licensing boards.
  • Accredited organization by the Continuing Education Board for Emergency Medical Services (CECBEMS).
  • Professional level programs have been nationally approved by CECBEMS.
  • National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT)
  • Commission on Accreditation of Medical Transport Services (CAMTS) Explanation of Education Course Matrix Statement: ASHI (American Health & Safety Institute) and AHA courses are considered equivalent. CAMTS Matrix
  • Accepted as equivalent to the AHA in all states.
  • Department of Homeland Security.
  • United States Coast Guard.

ASHI’s training programs are nationally recognized and are endorsed, accepted, approved, or meet the requirements of nearly 2,000 state regulatory agencies and occupational licensing boards, including those licensing Emergency Medical Service providers, physicians, pharmacists, dental health professionals, child care providers, law enforcement officers, school teachers, and many others.

ASHI’s resuscitation programs for basic and advanced life support conform to national standards and are based on the same scientific guidelines and treatment recommendations used by the American Heart Association (AHA) and American Red Cross (ARC) for course development. ASHI professional resuscitation programs meet the requirements of the Joint Commission (JCAHO PC.9.30 revisions) and the Commission on Accreditation of Medical Transport Services.

ASHI resuscitation programs are nationally approved by the Continuing Education Board for Emergency Medical Services (CECBEMS), and are accepted as equivalent to the AHA and ARC by most state regulatory authorities, the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT), the Department of Homeland Security, United States Coast Guard, and others.

My (admittedly limited) experience leads me to believe that these three certs are probably going to be identical in all but the most trivial ways. Most likely it's going to come down to personal preference of your medical director. If anyone else has some info I don't I'm sure it will be posted soon but I'd say the probability is that ASHI will work just fine. Have a good one!

edit: Not sure why it does that, my font size seems to drop to the minimum when I post something in a quote box. Oh well, fixed to be readable:)

Edited by BillKaneEMT

Thanks! I guess the only concern I have is that if I get any other job that requires CPR certification they may not accept the ASHI cert, but I'll cross that bridge if and when I get there.

From what I read it's accepted anywhere AHA is accepted within the United States. Bear in mind that it's possible what I read was false:) Should be fine I'd think, and if not the AHA and ARC classes take a whole day so it shouldn't be too bad:) Take care!

My employer REQUIRES us to have the AHA BLS for Healthcare Professionals. There is no other option. You must get it, or you don't work. We actually had an issue and lost a nurse off the floor the other day because she expired and didn't realize it....

I don't, however, know of anywhere that DOESN'T accept AHA in my area. Anyone heard of AHA not being acceptable anywhere?

Wendy

CO RN-ADN

My company will accept either AHA or ARC. I asked my boss and she said as long as our medical director said it was OK there would be no problem with ASHI in our area but it is medical director's choice. Or rather, if your director approves it's the individual company's choice. Most companies around here have at least one instructor just to keep the emt's and medics current, typically you can go to a recert class around here from an AHA instructor for 40-50 bucks. Not a big outlay. My ARC for Pro lifesavers was 80 but it came with a nice portable mask with one way filter and O2 hookup. Plus it was the one recommended by my EMT class. I know the FF's around here used to go ARC and mostly go AHA now but for some reason most dental/doctor's office people still do ARC. Are you working anywhere else or just doing the volunteer squad?

This is not directed to the OP or anyone else in this thread but to anyone who posts employment or licensure related questions without going to their employer or bureau of EMS first.

When in doubt, contact your company and ask them. Why ask here. I don't get it!!! You ask a forum where the answers to your question affect your job. You don't ask the people where the answers count and that is your state ems bureau or your employer. Why do people come here and ask these critical questions?

Guys, when questions directly affect your job and your livelihood, this is not the place to ask, the place to ask is your employer and your state bureau of EMS, not this forum.

This is a great site for general questions but when they directly pertain for relicensure and your employment related questions, the best places are those cited above.

Edited by Captain ToHellWithItAll