What's wrong with this picture?

BEorP

Well, it is not uncommon here to delegate management of the BVM to the FF post ETT, and for the medic to cop a squat next to the monitor and the med port.

Yeah there are several things here that could be an "oh shit" but all in all nothing out of the ordinary.

Rememeber, EVERY EMS SYSTEM DOES THINGS A LITTLE DIFFERENTLY.

Not sure about the FF's level of training. In my area you can't get onto a non-volly fire department without an emt-p cert. Which really means an NREMT-P cert of course since that's the only one IN recognizes these days. Older FF's were grandfathered but word is nobody gets brought on now without NREMT-P and Fire 2 unless they get a special dispensation or something.

Really, guys? It was a mid-movement photo. I know we don't always look perfect at every second and may have weird split second microexpressions on my SAR team... this crew looks fine to me. Looks like that FF who is bagging (totally appropriate) is also holding the tube as extra stabilization.

Looked better than half the stuff you'd see on "Paramedics" back in the day...

Wendy

CO RN-ADN Student

• Like 1

One presents a picture to a group of people and you will get a thousand descriptions of what is going on in that photo regardless if any of the group was present at that event.

So why do we automatically assume, the Firefighter has no skills? All the firefighters I have been in contact with over the past 25 years or more all have their CPR certification, most are certified First Responders or EMT’s in Iowa where I live. All are capable in using a BVM at any point in time.

The look on their faces, since we don’t know these personnel we don’t know what bored looks like. So how can we judge what his face really looks like? One of our medics, unless he is laughing, he always looks bored. If you see him on a call, he looks bored, but in fact he is about 50 steps ahead of everyone on what needs to be done next.

I am with Eyedawn on this one. It’s a mid-movement photo.

The only thing I see wrong in this picture is, is that law enforcement should have cleared the looky loos and picture takers from the entrance and made them stand back somewhere else.

I could show you some pictures reflecting true poor patient management. I am not sure why but I will refrain.

So why do we automatically assume, the Firefighter has no skills? All the firefighters I have been in contact with over the past 25 years or more all have their CPR certification, most are certified First Responders or EMT’s in Iowa where I live.

Maybe I should have explained more fully in the initial post. This picture is from Toronto and in Ontario fire and ambulance are independent. I would not be too keen on delegating airway management (probably the most important thing for this patient right now) to someone who is not a health professional.

Maybe the medic knows the firefighter. Maybe the firefighter was once a paramedic. Lots of unknowns here. He obviously knows how to bag the patient... at least, from the milisecond photo we got....

Wendy

CO RN-ADN Student

Not to mention this episode was an MCI, sometimes resources get spread pretty thin. The patient probably had the best qualified practitioner operating the BVM considering that there is only one Medic in the photo, and he was a supervisor. ;)

Disclaimer, I am not a Fire Truck Driver, I am a Field Medic in a Supervisory role. I'm poking fun at myself and those like me.

Maybe I should have explained more fully in the initial post. This picture is from Toronto and in Ontario fire and ambulance are independent. I would not be too keen on delegating airway management (probably the most important thing for this patient right now) to someone who is not a health professional.

Question, then, why was a non-health professional sent to a medical call?

Addendum: Not trying to be facetious, it's a legit question. I mean, you don't fight fires with an ambulance and you don't chase bad guys in a firetruck.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.