Patches?

Don't know if this is the correct forum/thread for this topic but couldn't find one that fits its just right.

So I received my "NREMT" patch and it's nice and all but I don't have the slightest idea what to do with it besides keep it in it's envelope.

What are patches for and why do some trade them like Pokemon cards?

Is it just something like a keepsake to show how far one has come through their career?

Thanks.

Eric C.

So I received my "NREMT" patch and it's nice and all but I don't have the slightest idea what to do with it besides keep it in it's envelope.

Then keep it there until you find out something to do with it.

What are patches for...?

Identification in most cases. Who you work for and what provider level you are are two big identification purposes for them.

...and why do some trade them like Pokemon cards?

Everybody needs a hobby. Patch trading and collecting is a hobby for many.

Is it just something like a keepsake to show how far one has come through their career?

For some it is, yes.

Thanks.

You're welcome.

eCamp,

What would be really cool, is when your children grow up, would be for you to tell them you brought them into this world!!

Thanks ParamedicMike. I have had time to think and thought when my children are born, it would be a cool experience to know what their father has done over the years.

Ever consider a diary for them to read?

I have a bag full of patches that one of these days I'm going to figure out to make a nice display with. The kicker is that with a few notable exceptions they are all patches I have worn at one time or another. Trading patches has been a tradition that has gone on for pretty much as long as people have worn them. Many stations and firehouses have a display of patches they have collected, to show how far some of their visitors have traveled or who they have met. I actually trade pins more than I do patches, and I have a pretty cool collection of those too.

While we're on the subject, can anyone offer me suggestions on how to display them? I have about 15 to 20 of the suckers and I want to arrange them chronologically. I think a large pin board would work but I'd like to have a cover over the top. Any thoughts?

I used some old window glass to make a shadow box 36" X 36".

All I had to do was run four 1X4s across the table saw to create a channel for the glass to sit in, then I used 1/2 inch plywood for the back. Upholstered it with a navy blue cloth and attached the patches with a needle and thread, just tacking them on. I used a piano hinge across the top to fasten the glass frame so I could easily lift it and access the patches. Then, in the top of the frame i installed some lights for added effect.

I'll get ya some pics one day.

• Like 1

Sounds like you put some work into making it. Attached, is a picture of my shadow box. Used an old company shirt and attached name badges, patches and pins to it, then mounted it within the box.

1f47fa9f.jpg

Edited by chbare
  • Like 1

The NREMT issues its own patches however I have never seen a uniform that uses them, most places use the state patch (if one exists) on one sleeve and the company patch and/or American flag on the other one.

We used to have national patches back in the day but have not had them for over a decade now since the new uniforms came out, I would love to return to a national qualification patch like the Police and Fire Service have now that there are standardised qualification titles once again.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.