Letting the cert go...

Eydawn

First, congratulations on school. Sometimes getting through nursing school requires the mouth of a politician and the endurance of a marathon runner. I wish you all the best in your upcoming career.

Due to past experiences, I have a different way of looking at maintaining EMS credentials. Three events in my life after nursing school occurred at least in part because of my EMS credentials, specifically national registry. First, I remained an enlisted medic in the National Guard for several years after graduating nursing school. When the new medical occupational structure was applied, I was easily able to make the transition because of my NREMT credentials. Next, my life changing experience in Afghanistan may not have occurred without NREMT credentials. Finally, I was just hired into a full time, tenure track educator position. While the nursing and respiratory degrees were a big help, I would not have even been qualified for the position without NREMT and state EMS credentials. A somewhat unrelated point; however, my old employer is looking to make all their flight nurses obtain EMT credentials to remain flight qualified. If I was still flying, I would have saved my self from doing a five-six month class.

In conclusion, I would recommend you at least do the minimum to keep your credentials active because you never know if or when they will come in handy.

• Like 1

Different circumstances, but I've had my cert expire 3 times over my 38 year career. All were related to injury or illness interfering with my either taking the refresher on time, or just the State Refresher tests. In all 3 cases, I was able to retake the classes and tests within the "Grace Period", so my Tech "Cert" number remains unchanged from first issue in 1974.

Never let a cert go, until you have actually obtained the new, higher cert. I know it seems certain now, but life has a way of messing that up. To keep your other cert is a nominal fee, pay it to keep from being unemployed, you can do the cost comparison.

Edited by mikeymedic1984

See, I haven't been employed under that EMT cert for almost 3 years though and am currently working under CNA licensure at the jobs I hold now. That sucker doesn't expire until 2014. If the EMT were in any way related to my employment it wouldn't be allowed to lapse.

• 2 weeks later...

See, that's the other thing, I could just take an online cert mill, test for the National Registry, and I'm back where I started...

Well, after all that, it looks like I have until the END of June before it's totally gone. And I am meeting with someone from my local service to see what counts out of my nursing school didactic towards CE's (A lot, according to a classmate who just did all this). So, I may actually remain a CO EMT-B after all...

I guess it will make it easier, in the long run, to pursue my paramedic (which I still fully intend to do). I plan to be an RN and a paramedic. Someday.

Wendy

CO RN-ADN Student

Wendy, does your EMT-B/EMT-P home state allow "Challenge" refresher tests? If I understand the concept, you take a state cert test, determine where your classroom weaknesses are (You? Classroom weaknesses? HA!), and only take the classes for the areas of weakness. Then, you take the state cert test again, but for all effects and purposes, the second test is the one that counts. Equate it to the college entry PSAT and SAT.