Theme of EMS Week is "More than a job. A calling"

This came through my email this morning:

When did you know EMS was your calling?

The theme of EMS Week 2012 is 'More than a job. A calling', and we want to know:what was the single moment you knew you were meant to work in EMS? Was it on a particularly notable call? Was it a quiet moment of personal reflection?

Tell us when you realized that EMS was your calling and you'll have the chance to win great prizes, including a pair of 5.11 HRT boots. All you have to do is submit a short story about your experience either on EMS1.com or on the EMS1 Facebook page by Sunday, May 20th.

We’ll be picking six finalists and featuring them on the website and in our eNewsletter during EMS Week (May 22nd - 28th). EMS1 readers will be voting on the best stories, with winners receiving some cool gear!

I hope that I haven't missed a thread on this already, but this just seems ridiculous. Whether you believe that EMS is a calling or not, it certainly seems like there are much better options for a "theme" for what is supposed to be our professional week. What about, "Our profession. Our future" and we can have a contest to write about what you have done in the last year to promote it? I'm sure many of you can think of even better ideas.

I don't know how official this theme is (is this just an EMS1 thing?) so I probably shouldn't get too worked up, but it just doesn't seem like it is much help!

• Like 1

Oh please what a lot of absolute bullshit

It is the slop like this that doesn't help the semi professional trade that thinks it's a profession in (that country) advance

Never once have I heard anybody say the Ambulance Service was a "calling"

Vomit, vomit, vomit ....

Trev mate, if we're playing that game I am a Redneck republican christian conservative who drives a large pick up truck with confederate flag in the back windown, gun in the glove compartment, dixie chicks, sugarland, shania twain, garth brooks and toby keith CD's in the console, triple bacon cheeseburger wrappers spread everywhere, a bible on the passenger seat and the radio tuned to redneck talkback radio that continuously hates on obama trapped in a pale Kiwi's body

Oh and I have a jump kit, a star of life and a big ass air horn on said truck cos this is EMS week god damn it! :D

I am a paragod it's who I are, bow at the knees of Zog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Captain Kickass

Guys, we're over thinking it. The week is for public consumption, not our own and it's about time we started trading on some of the bravado utilized by our friends in the fire service to promote their own profession. It's like those license plate covers North City Insurance gives away "Paramedics Save Lives"; it's a heck of a lot catchier than "Paramedics Provide Competent Professional Medical Care and Improve Clinical Outcomes Within a Certain Subset of Patients."

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.