Much ado about nothing.

Bieber

Lots of changes at work lately. New protocols coming out this summer (very liberal, very progressive). Got on the clinical education committee, working with a couple other committees to develop a formal FTO program. Got into a heated debate with my fellow committee members about the benefit (or lack thereof) of dual paramedic trucks versus mixed crews. Got frustrated with them. Beat my head against the wall when one of the guys went on about how they're not "much of a stats guy"; beat my head harder when he went on about his anecdotes on the matter serving as evidence. Another committee member helped remind me to be tactful; let me know some folks think I'm just an arrogant prick. I am. Oh well. Getting frustrated with my partner, he likes to rush and doesn't always give very great care. Next month I'm hoping I'll be allowed to be an "acting lieutenant" on the truck, and be allowed to work with non-lieutenants as the lead paramedic when my regular partner's gone. Got admitted/accepted into a bachelors program in paramedicine; working on getting enrolled in classes. Bought a Prius; caught shit for it; 45 mpg makes me okay with it. Been playing Mass Effect a lot lately. That, plus computer issues, kept me off of here. Got a new computer last night. New computer busted today. Exchanged it for a different computer; working good now. Things with the girlfriend going good; resolved a lot of our issues. She's signed up to take an EMT class this summer. Need more money, but things are about to get ugly at work; a lot of people will be resigning over these new changes. Room for advancement within the organization is looking brighter every day. On vacation for the next six days.

That's all!

I wish I had listened to what my father had told me when I was your age. Don't listen to the jones's or the miller's and don't try to keep up them. Just keep working on trying to keep up with yourself.

In the long run who are you really competing with? YOU!!!! In 20 years, are you still going to be competing with the same jones family or will there be different Joneses and Millers?

You have to deal with you and you only, keep looking out for yourself, make sure you have a roof over your head, food on your table, make sure you provide a stable family life and give to the poor if you can.

NObody is going to bend over backwards to help you out so give if you can but remember, in a crisis situation you are responsible for you and yours so remember to take care of you and your family first as that is what your responsibility is first and foremost.

Bieber, you have a great head on your shoulders, keep doing what you are doing and I can't imagine you going off on the wrong path. The advice is free it's what you do with it that comes with a price.

Thanks for the kind words, Kickass! It's good to know there's other providers out there that share the same views as me when it comes to EMS and patient care; now if only I can stay off my lazy ass and stick around here this time, that should boost my morale.

Mikey, I feel you, man. I live in Kansas, so everyone's all about those big, gas-guzzling trucks around here, but to be honest, never having paid more than thirty bucks to fill the tank of my Prius makes catching shit for it all worthwhile.

Just don't get in an accident between your toaster oven and one of those big gas guzzling trucks.

You won't win.

the trailer hitch on my 1 ton van is at the center of your windshield height.

When I was your age i spent my money buying old run down multi family houses and fixing them up. Once we had them fully refurbed and rented we sold them and kept turning the profits into the next one. Over 20 yrs bought & sold 10 properties and made money on everyone of them. Didn't get rich, but had enough put away to move here and now have no mortgage or regular payments due.

We both still work, but not because we have to ,to survive.

My partner's relief does the same thing, Island, except he rents out his houses. Sounds like an interesting thing to get into, and a little money on the side never hurts.

It sounds like you're wanting to work within the system without being bothered to 'work the system.'

One thing that remote medicine teaches you is that when you go into a mature culture, regardless of the frailties or negative issues you may find, you will never be big enough, or smart enough, or strong enough to man handle the system to your way of thinking. (Yeti, sometimes you're an asshole, but even I'm learning...little by little, by following your examples.Yeah, I know...hard to imagine.)

It sounds as if you believed that getting onto the committee was the hard part. I'm guessing that you're coming to believe differently now. Making changes within the system, trying to bend the system to your ways while playing by their rules, that is where the challenge begins.

Every yahoo on the planet can get appointed, as proved by your 'I don't do statistics' guy, but do you have the stones to figure out how the system works and make positive changes? Some before you have, as evidenced by the more progressive system that you already enjoy. You're one of the smartest, most dedicated people that I know, but ultimately, the proof is in the pudding.

You hope that you'll get away from your current partner so that you don't have to try and improve him, hope that more tact might help improve the committee relationship, but those things are changeable now...I've never seen anyone better at it than akflightmedic (Yeti). Everyone follows him, no matter where he goes or what the project happens to be, and they are happy to do it. Everyone thinks that they are in charge despite the fact that they are all moving in the direction that he's chosen and planned for.

You've done the important, but easy part, by placing yourself in a position to be noticed and where you can have a voice in change...now it's left to see if you will be happy with simply talking about it, or if you'll find a way to actually cause it...

My money, as always, is on you Brother...

It sounds like you're wanting to work within the system without being bothered to 'work the system.'

Admittedly, I have a bad habit of wanting to barrel headfirst through whatever obstacles are in my way instead of the more tactful, patient route.

One thing that remote medicine teaches you is that when you go into a mature culture, regardless of the frailties or negative issues you may find, you will never be big enough, or smart enough, or strong enough to man handle the system to your way of thinking. (Yeti, sometimes you're an asshole, but even I'm learning...little by little, by following your examples.Yeah, I know...hard to imagine.)

It sounds as if you believed that getting onto the committee was the hard part. I'm guessing that you're coming to believe differently now. Making changes within the system, trying to bend the system to your ways while playing by their rules, that is where the challenge begins.

Yeah, I'm starting to see that now. And you're right, I think I did think that just getting on the committee was the hard part. Now I'm definitely seeing the real challenge of it.

Every yahoo on the planet can get appointed, as proved by your 'I don't do statistics' guy, but do you have the stones to figure out how the system works and make positive changes? Some before you have, as evidenced by the more progressive system that you already enjoy. You're one of the smartest, most dedicated people that I know, but ultimately, the proof is in the pudding.

You hope that you'll get away from your current partner so that you don't have to try and improve him, hope that more tact might help improve the committee relationship, but those things are changeable now...I've never seen anyone better at it than akflightmedic (Yeti). Everyone follows him, no matter where he goes or what the project happens to be, and they are happy to do it. Everyone thinks that they are in charge despite the fact that they are all moving in the direction that he's chosen and planned for.

Thanks for the kind words, Dwayne, though you might have some rose colored lenses! You're right, though, that the change I'm trying to push for is already--at least in part--being accomplished by others in the system. And I think I could learn a lot by trying to examine the way they present their ideas in a way that results in more success than my "bull in a coffee shop" method. Hey, AK, how about some lessons for the Bieb?

You've done the important, but easy part, by placing yourself in a position to be noticed and where you can have a voice in change...now it's left to see if you will be happy with simply talking about it, or if you'll find a way to actually cause it...

My money, as always, is on you Brother...

As always, Dwayne, you're a constant source of inspiration for me. I'll think about what you said, and keep fighting for what I believe in, though I'll definitely reconsider my tactics...

• Like 1