2 weeks out from completing my second semester paramedic. which test do I apply for (AEMT or EMT-I/99)

I love the registry for making stuff so dang difficult. Whats the difference between the two. Im having difficulty finding the scope of practice for both. Can anyone point in the right direction as to which test to apply for and where I can find a printable version of the scope of practice. Also as a side note Im a EMT out of texas so I dont know which EMT they recognize and the states scope.

I find anything with more numbers is the better one to apply for. But seriously, I'm grandfathered in for the state of missouri so I only have to relicensure via CEU's for the state of missouri so I'm not a bit of help here, just paddin my post counts.

But I'm really proud of ya RWT. Keep at it brother. Call me any time.

Edited by Captain Kickass

Yeah I had a talk with my supervisor and he wants me to run vent pt's as a EMT-I 99 or AEMT. However I told him I wont do it unless I get thorough training on the equipment and He adds a exemption in the medical protocols to allow me to have cardiac monitoring/ waveform capnography and the cabability to perform under ACLS and PALS protocols as needed signed by the Medical Director. I wish for many things but I will likely get none. Gotta love private. :clown:

Apply for the AEMT exam. The I-99 level is being phased out and in three recert cycles you will either need to become a paramedic or you will loose your 99 credential and transition to AEMT. The scope of practice is set by your state. The national level has a minimum level that everybody must meet, but states have flexibility in any event.

• Like 2

I'm putzing around with getting my AEMT because for the next 3 months that's countless hours of overtime I can pick up on that the medics won't take. A 3 dollar an hour raise and experience with the skills I've acquired

Because during that three months I'm finishing up my medic figured what the heck might as well be able to to use a little bit more skills.

YOU need to insist on being able to give pain meds too. Don't forget your transfer from hell. Remember that one?????

My mother told her that too over the weekend since she is likely to be her consult. I wish her better luck. Talking to (insert name here) is like talking to a brick wall.

Too bad it's not really skills that are important. Unfortunately, I'm not sure you're at the level where you understand that yet. Although, on a certain level I can understand the overtime angle if that money is needed to survive.

I've always been of the mindframe, however, that when you're in school your focus should be on school. Sometimes a student has to work while in school in order to pay bills (important bills like rent and food). The trap, especially in EMS, is that it gets easy to be sucked in by available OT and focus more time on work when one's energy would be better spent on studying. Overtime paychecks don't last that long. The knowledge gained by properly paying attention to one's studies while in school will last forever.

This says nothing of the increased risk of burn out.

• Like 1

State of Texas doesn't recognize 99 - so it's AEMT (or the old 85) for you. I recommend taking the NR at this point if you can...it will most definitely set you up for the paramedic piece not to mention your added benefit of more $$. :D

Toni

Oh fun. I couldve taken that last semester (the 85). Is the NREMT still offering that test? I thought they phased it out in February.

I need the cert because the car I have is being borrowed from my grandparents and I need to save up for a sizeable down payment for my own vehicle.

Edited by runswithneedles

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.