EMS Memory Research (Help Needed)

Thanks for your thoughts. As I believe I mentioned above, I don't disagree with you at all and if you got the impression that the survey pushes one to think with a cookbook approach it was not an intentional one. The survey is meant to determine how people actually make their decisions and what kinds of memory they use to do that. I have only been an EMT for 6 years, however I completely understand the necessity to rely on experience sometimes rather than the cookbook approach. I apologize if you felt one was favored over the other but it wasn't mean that way. Thanks for helping out.

Andy

Thanks for your thoughts. As I believe I mentioned above, I don't disagree with you at all and if you got the impression that the survey pushes one to think with a cookbook approach it was not an intentional one. The survey is meant to determine how people actually make their decisions and what kinds of memory they use to do that. I have only been an EMT for 6 years, however I completely understand the necessity to rely on experience sometimes rather than the cookbook approach. I apologize if you felt one was favored over the other but it wasn't mean that way. Thanks for helping out.

Andy

I am too cynical for my own good sometimes. As I'm sure you are aware, in order for survey to be valid, certain criteria need to be met. If not, the results will be skewed towards a particular type of response- sometimes planned, sometimes not. The problem I have with things like this are the absolutes we must assume when considering the scenario, the question and answers, since there is never a black and white patient-meaning even 2 folks with the same disease process often manifest differently. As a result, for many it's too easy to "what if", and read too much into the question.

Example- the only options listed for treatment are using memory or using a written protocol. What about using online medical control if someone is unsure of a treatment? I often contact pediatric medical control station when dealing with peds patients to confirm doses after using a Broselow tape. I realize that additional option throws a whole new variable into this, but it would also be more accurate. Not trying to be a pain in the arse, just noting one of the possible reasons you are getting a bit of push back here.

Andy,

Be sure and let us know the results of your survey. I am very interested in seeing what you turned up.

...Example- the only options listed for treatment are using memory or using a written protocol. What about using online medical control if someone is unsure of a treatment? I often contact pediatric medical control station when dealing with peds patients to confirm doses after using a Broselow tape. I realize that additional option throws a whole new variable into this, but it would also be more accurate. Not trying to be a pain in the arse, just noting one of the possible reasons you are getting a bit of push back here.

But you get that's it's a survey for the purpose of studying memory as it applies to solving immediate emergent medical issues, right? Medcon and written protocols would by synonymous for the purposes of the study, or so it appears to me.

And you're always a pain in the ass...No study needed there! :-)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.