EMS Memory Research (Help Needed)

I'll take the survey, just out of boredom though. My second cousin is a professor of business at Cornell. Very nice school.

Edited by 1 C

for every

I use written protocols by referencing protocol books while providing care.

I answered never. We're required by law to carry a copy of the state-wide BLS protocols. However, it is my personal belief, that one should know their protocols before they are providing the care.

Thanks for your feedback. If you could email me at ANL26@cornell.edu what you believe are all the incorrect types of treatment for the scenarios that would help me in making sure the survey is as accurate as possible. However, one thing to consider if you are an ALS provider is that all the answers are limited to BLS treatments so that both BLS and ALS providers could be incorporated and can fill out the survey. I hope in the future to make an ALS only survey since there are bunch more types of scenarios that could be used but the sample size would be too small to do it now. Hope this helps clarify.

I had a quick look but in the vast of the questions the treatment options are not appropriate and there is no "other" box so you're stuck choosing the best wrong answer which is going to screw up your statistics

Although there are national standards of care, there are enough variations among EMS systems to make many of these questions difficult to answer. For instance, with more than one trauma patient, triage and treatment would depend on your available resources, skill level, distance to hospitals, availability of air transports, trauma center capabilities, etc.

It seems to me that this study is about trying to either justify or vilify the memories of EMS providers- at least in terms of being able to provide quality care. I honestly don't know of any competent provider who provides care with a reference or protocol book WHILE in the presence of their patient. Look over protocols later, possibly check enroute to a call, but NEVER in the presence of a patient.

Kiwi, I 'unaproved' your post. It doesn't delete it but leaves in invisible in the thread for other mods to see and decide if it's appropriate.

I know for a fact that you're more than smart enough to understand that by posting all that you did you'll queer this person's survey.

What the hell is going on?? Do the survey, don't do the survey, but why all of the attempts that seem to be simply trying to destroy the effort??

I took the survey and can't for the life of me see where it's trying to 'villify' anyone. It appeared to me that it was trying to gather information about decision making starting from reading protocols on scene, which I've done a couple of times, to general feelings to specific thoughts from the past, exactly what he claimed it to be.

It's a survey!!!

The OP came here in good faith, was respectful, asked for help....I'm really frustrated at people's apparent desire to post for the sole purpose of making sure that his time here is wasted.

1 C we're all very impressed that with your disdain for the survey. Good on you man. You're post couldn't have been more productive.

Kiwi, what the hell were you thinking posting specific questions and your opinion as to the proper answers for each? Give me a fucking break.

I think the subject is interesting. But whether any of us do or not one of our EMS brothers came asking for voluntary help, what do you say that we leave him be, help support his project, and try for a friggin' minute to allow something positive to happen?

Andy. I took the test and found it enjoyable. I hope i don't screw your results. My service has no written protocols. Although we cannot exclude our experience I take each patient at face value.

Therefore I have to agree with Dwayne that rarely could almost mean never except that we cannot change our experience.

I wish there was a way to know which test was mine and compare the results as a litmus to how well my thought process translates into proper patient care.

I congratulate you for your representaion in this thread and your survey.

Best wishes to you.

What the hell is going on?? Do the survey, don't do the survey, but why all of the attempts that seem to be simply trying to destroy the effort??

Kiwi would most likely have trouble taking the survey because he knows a lot of stuff but does not hold any certs or work in EMS. I would be inclined to think that when the scene does not match what you find in books or on the net one might feel inclined to google "correct" answers. The truth is that no case is ideal and only in the scenario world can everything be perfect.

Kiwi - good job on changing your name. This one seems so much more honest.

I put a sincere effort into the survey; answered each question. When asked why I chose each answer, I explained why in the box provided, rather than clicking a dot. I found, however, at the end I could only remember "highlight details" from each case. Where as on a call, I depend on my memory of it to write up my tripsheet. As I only take a few notes and basic info; along with vitals on a notepad while actually "ON" the call. Even if we stack up calls, I never have a problem remembering; nor have I ever had a problem studying then taking tests.

The format of the survey, essentially is set up the same way as our Online-Con Ed courses. You watch some objective and subjective info for 28 minutes; then take the test. It will have a scenario, and three or four questions that go with it. Now if I had to answer a question later in the process, about the scenario that I had just read and tested on, I probably wouldn't recall. I've always supported those courses, but I tend to learn by doing; rather than watching.

In a nutshell.. I enjoyed the survey, it was well planned, well written and I appreciate being given the opportunity to participate. I in no way intended to insult or disrespect our new member, Andy Lazar; and if it appeared that way, Andy, I apologize.

• Like 1

Mr. Lazar, just as an FYI, back in the early 1980s, the New York State Department of Health's written EMT test was created by professional test writers, who wrote a test using "best possible answers". Most of us then felt it was the least incorrect answer was the one they wanted. Following that particular statewide testing, everyone was so happy when the next test was written by people who at least had an EMT background for input, even though the test seemed a bit harder.

It is the nature of the beast, that any test or survey will always have those who feel, after taking said survey or test, that the selections in no way can be used to answer.

(On a personal note, my brother is a Cornell graduate, now teaching American History at the University of North Dakota, at Grand Forks, ND)

Two problems with the survey- anybody who has been doing this long time is generally highly versed in the protocols, and seeing bazillions of similar cases, is likely to drop back to experience-- I might look up a protocol for a zebra, but I damn well better be able to recognize horse beats FAST-- yes, I have a cheat sheet in the drug box, but after doing this damn near to 30 years, I don't need a cookbook approach-- sense and experience are far more valuable--

One of the big problems with cookbook approaches-- they will often lead you in the wrong direction-- where the voice of experience warns you when something else is going on-- you GOTTA look at mechanisms of injury-- which often ratchets up the type of care provided

BLS since 75

ALS since 84

plus Navy ALS from 75 to 99

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.