Brand New EMT-B..can't get a job because of age?

I've never noticed that liability insurance is any different, based on the age of our drivers. That could just be a fall back excuse? I won't say start somewhere with low standards, b/c that could affect your ability to become employed somewhere else, as well.

I don't know what it is like in the US, but in Canada and Australia you'll have a very difficult time renting a car under 21 so I'd imagine that that is somewhat of a magic number for insurance companies.

I don't know what it is like in the US, but in Canada and Australia you'll have a very difficult time renting a car under 21 so I'd imagine that that is somewhat of a magic number for insurance companies.

Yeah same here mate, if you're under 25 they won't even rent to you or you have to agree to pay like an extra thousand bucks excess (deductible) as part of the mandatory insurance cover the rental agency provides

You also cannot rent on your restricted (P plates in AU)

As far as Ambulance is concerned; in AU you need Class LR; Canada requires a Class 4 or Class F in Ontario; in the UK/EU you need Endorsement C1 (and maybe D1 depending on some UK NHS Trusts) so that means you must pass extra tests and be over 21 (usually) however in US doggon it you can roll up on a standard car license and drive with an 8 hour class and hey never mind if you've been suspended, had three at-fault fatal hit and runs and you're visibly intoxicated when you take your Ambulance driving class.

OK I was kind of taking the piss on that last bit but you get the idea :D

Edited by Kiwiology

Thank you all for the replies! I've finally talked to a couple companies who say they hire at 18, so I suppose I will at least fill out the application and see what happens. I am currently in school for nursing, which is my long term goal. If I can't find a job directly in EMS, I am considering teaching CPR while I am still in school, and am hoping that having the EMT cert will at least give me an edge against competition. Thanks for the replies, I truly appreciate it!

Actually, the EMT cert alone won't give you much unless you can explain in an interview how it helped you develop critical thinking skills or some such. Nursing really seems to not care about EMT experience as much... and some nursing instructors view EMT experience as a DOWN check, instead of a positive...

Just my experience, as an EMT, in nursing school...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Wow, how much different is the insurance cost for EMS workers between 19 and 21 ?

It's not the price difference. Many insurers of commercial vehicle fleets will NOT insure operators under 21. Risk management data shows a much higher risk with under 21 yo drivers.

Guess what? If I can't get insurance to cover you as a driver , then I'm probably not going to offer a position. Just the facts!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.