Best pranks

thisgirlisamedic

Could you please describe a scenario where stealing meds and using them on your coworker as a practical joke would be funny?

Honestly, not really. I think it's funny in a "Mother, Jugs, and Speed" kind of way, the same way I think that buzzing the nuns is hilarious. It's something that I would laugh at, if I was told the story, but that I wouldn't personally do.

So, what you're saying, is that it's ok to take advantage of someone's ignorance, or worse, exploit that ignorance in an effort to make fun of them? Do you routinely enjoy making people feel stupid? Because what I read in your statements here is that you think it's funny to get people to do something that impossible and publicly humiliating when they don't know any better and then laugh at them for it afterwards.

I think you're completely misconstruing the meaning of my post. I think that a person's reaction to a prank gives you a good read on their personality and gives you a chance to break the ice and/or the tension of a stressful job. My prank that I described back on page one has been done to newbies since before I started at my job, and hopefully will be continued after I leave. No one gets bent out of shape, because we never let it go beyond seeing the persons reaction. The rest of the group has a good laugh about it, knowing that at one point, it was done to us, and that at some point, that newbie will get to do it to someone else.

It's not about making someone feel stupid, or ignorant, or exploiting ignorance. It's about a joke, which as far as I can tell, have always come at someone's expense. From lawyers, to nurses, to nuns, to Rabbis, Priests, and Buddhist monks who walk into bars... they've all been made fun of in jokes, and yet people still cherish those professions. A good joke or prank, while it may be temporarily embarrassing, is one where EVERYONE can look back at it and laugh, even the "victim".

Edited by CPhT
  • Like 1

Honestly, not really. I think it's funny in a "Mother, Jugs, and Speed" kind of way, the same way I think that buzzing the nuns is hilarious. It's something that I would laugh at, if I was told the story, but that I wouldn't personally do.

So Ruff being on the receiving end of lasix in his soda is funny?

I think you're completely misconstruing the meaning of my post. I think that a person's reaction to a prank gives you a good read on their personality and gives you a chance to break the ice and/or the tension of a stressful job. My prank that I described back on page one has been done to newbies since before I started at my job, and hopefully will be continued after I leave. No one gets bent out of shape, because we never let it go beyond seeing the persons reaction. The rest of the group has a good laugh about it, knowing that at one point, it was done to us, and that at some point, that newbie will get to do it to someone else.

It's not about making someone feel stupid, or ignorant, or exploiting ignorance. It's about a joke, which as far as I can tell, have always come at someone's expense. From lawyers, to nurses, to nuns, to Rabbis, Priests, and Buddhist monks who walk into bars... they've all been made fun of in jokes, and yet people still cherish those professions. A good joke or prank, while it may be temporarily embarrassing, is one where EVERYONE can look back at it and laugh, even the "victim".

It's a far cry from "a rabbi, priest and imam walk into a bar...", which is telling a joke, to "go piss in a cup and leave it on the chief's desk". Those are two completely different circumstances. So you'll forgive my confusion when you equate the two to being one in the same.

So, based on what you said and how I read it, you're taking advantage of someone's ignorance and using that to put them in an awkward, even potentially humiliating, position for the enjoyment of you and your coworkers under the guise of "teambuilding". Am I still misunderstanding you?

furosemide in tea.........enough said.....

Not enough said. Would some kind ALS person tell this BLS person what the (presumed) drug is, what it is for, and what results from it being in Tea?

Not enough said. Would some kind ALS person tell this BLS person what the (presumed) drug is, what it is for, and what results from it being in Tea?

Happily

Furosemide (Lasix) is a loop diuretic. It inhibits the reuptake of Sodium in the loop of Henle in the kidney. We all know "water follows salt" Therefore, it encourages fluid leaving the body. It also has no discrimination to chloride, calcium, or magnesium either. The body... working to remain at homeostasis.... shifts potassium out to match the new electroyte levels.

So when given improperly (like to a patient who does not require it) it causes, hypovolemia, Hypokalemia, hypomagnesia, hypocalcemia, hyponatremia. All of these are potentially lethal, and will cause the patient cardiac rhythm disturbance, restlessness, polyuria, polydypsia, abdominal pain, nausea/vomiting, muscle spasms, etc etc

/sarcasm: Oh yeah.... the polyuria is hilarious!! sarcasm

This might be a good time to remind people that patients with cardiogenic pulmonary edema are often relatively hypovolaemic as all that fluid has come from the circulation.

So giving frusemide is bad ju ju ... in the acute patient, it's used quite widely in management of chronic heart failure but may be loosing place to spironolactone

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.