Demonstrating AED Use

Hello, I am an EMT-B in NJ and I work as an IT Tech in Philadelphia. The director of human resources asked if I could demonstrate the use of the AED. She's not looking for instruction in the sense that people would become CPR certified, but just a quick demo so people are familiar. I wondered if there were an liability issues or reasons I would not be allowed to do this?

I can't see any, particularly if you're doing it within your company.

Many of us have been asked and/or volunteered to prepare demonstrations on things that we're not necessarily experts on. Teaching is also part of the learning process.

No certs needed to show how something is used as long as you're not making any false claims about your abilities.

I don't see why there would be, as you aren't delivering a certification session, it would be no different to a PSA or a promo showing the use of an AED or you going to a school and showing their usage etc. Its just showing that this is an AED this is what it does and you will go to a course soon to be certified in its usage and be able to help save a life *insert touchy feely happy happy joy joy comment* and all should be fine.

Go for it! You will have a blast! You might want to get everyone copies of the AED skill sheet so they know what the EMT will do when he arrives and have a written algorithm to follow.

Have fun!

Look at it this way, you're being asked to do this in Philadelphia which has the highest rate of medically related malpractice lawsuits in the state. If someone can find a way to sue you and your employer over the (what they deem to be improper) use or failure to use an AED this will be the market in which it'll happen. If you are not an instructor you are potentially opening yourself to liability even if you do everything right. They will use the fact that you're an EMT against you by arguing that you should have known better than to offer an ad-hoc orientation to the device.

It sucks but that's life in the city in which you choose to work. This is not to discount the enthusiasm of my colleagues who've posted already in this thread. They're just not as familiar with the Philadelphia marketplace. Unfortunately, sometimes we need to practice defensive medicine in order to protect ourselves.

That being said, what's wrong with doing the education correctly and offering a full on CPR class? Is your employer just too cheap to do it right? Were my employer to take that stance (back in my pre-EMS life) I'd be a little annoyed.

Encourage your employer to do the right thing and do a proper CPR class that includes AED instruction.

Yes. I know AEDs are made so that anyone can use them. My argument against the OP not doing this class has nothing to do with a lack of enthusiam or a terminal Debbie Downer outlook. If it's going to be done what's wrong with doing it right from the very beginning? If it's not going to be done correctly then it becomes an act of self preservation especially given the volatility of civil suits within SE PA.

Thanks everyone! paramedicmike I do see your point and my employers plan is to have two people in every suite CPR certified (we have four suites in the building we are in). That being said, I will definitely think it over before saying yes or no. I do agree that everyone should at least have a vague idea of what should/will happen in the event of an emergency, but not at the expense of there being a legal issue down the road. Thanks again everyone!

I did a CPR/ AED demonstration for my speech class as part of a assignment. As part of mine I put a little side not prior to beginning stating I wasnt an instructor and I cannot be held liable should someone do it improperly.

Hey Mike, honest question...

Can you present a scenario where a kid explaining AEDs might get jammed up legally? I can't really imagine one that is realistic..

Again, I have faith in your opinion, but can't see it...

As a purely hypothetical situation? In a case of someone on whom the device was used in an unsuccessful resuscitation attempt, the family could claim that "he failed to properly instruct people (staff, coworkers etc...) how to correctly use the device and that had it been used correctly <family member> would still be alive".

As he hasn't given us any reason to believe he's an instructor he wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Far fetched? Perhaps. However, I know you've run into people during your career who would file a similarly stupid suit if they thought they could get some easy cash out of it.

What I think is kinda' silly about the request from the OP's HR person is that these devices are pretty idiot proof. Open the case and they talk you through everything you need to do.

I mean come on. Even paramedics can use them if they need to. :whistle:

• Like 1