hi from the Uk

mikemedic999

Im mike (hence the name),based with an ambulance service in the uk.thought it was about tine i joined as ive been watching here a while.

Im trained as an EMT-A but only registered with the NAEMT.im looking at coming over to the USA sometime,for maybe a month to work.any advice,hints etc please let me know

Cheers mike

Im mike (hence the name),based with an ambulance service in the uk.thought it was about tine i joined as ive been watching here a while.

Im trained as an EMT-A but only registered with the NAEMT.im looking at coming over to the USA sometime,for maybe a month to work.any advice,hints etc please let me know

Cheers mike

Welcome to the forum.

Just some questions:

Does that mean you`re an ECA?

I don`t really grasp the NAEMT point, did you confer your qualification to the US?

Hi mate, good to have you

Interesting you mention working privately; do the JRCALC guidelines and PGDs and whatnot allow you to work outside the NHS? I never did understand how things work in the UK with delegated powers and such; I know for example you bloke's can't carry ketamine because your medicines legislation is a bit funny but that a State Registered Paramedic can purchase, supply and administer under their HPC registration (yes, yes I know its now just "Paramedic" since the Council of Professions Supplementary to Medicine became the HPC but let's not get into that...., what don't look at me like that, I read a lot)

Now, you can drive while eat fish and chips? Red base, November one-hundred on location :D

Ahem, somebody should re-read the Hoosier Constitution, specifically the part that clearly states that the world begins at Gary and ends at Evansville?

Bloody hell mate seriously trust it to take a once-was-has-been-Kiwi-import to remind you of such critically important matters? :D

Thy shall not speak of Chicago nor ill of the Great Nation of Indiana

Red base, November 100, transport not required, have turfed this one to NHS Redirect, be clearing twenty six omega, whats that, a suspended for us to go to now you say, hmm, I knew we should have transported ....

Edited by kiwimedic

In the US, EMS systems have protocols and standing orders. Just because you've been trained to give a drug doesn't necessarily mean you will be able to give it, for 2 reasons. First reason is if it isn't in that regions formulary you can't give it and the second reason is if the Medical Director says you can't give it...you don't give it.

I have given a couple drugs that are not in our formulary. I had to have written orders and written permission from my Med Diretor. I then had to go to the hospital pharmacy and personally sign for the drug and was told that if I didn't use it all, it had to be turned back in, which is a given, I used it all so I didn't have to worry about that. But it was a HUGE hassle to GET permission in writing. And I got a stern talking to when the orders were written. Not because he was afraid I would do something wrong but because the drug was unfamiliar to me so I got the run down on effects and so on.

EMS in the US is a whole different ball game than what it is in the UK. Good Luck!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.