Greetings

cscboulder11

Guess I should introduce myself. I've been lurking for a month or so and finally decided to register. I'll be taking a EMT course at my college in the fall, so in the meantime, I've been searching about EMS in general.

I'm currently an aeronautical engineering student, but I've always had a big interest in EMS and if I don't pursue it now, I know I'll regret it. Currently, I'm a computer modeler under contract, although it's not a big hobby of mine.

I may not have the slightest clue what you guys are talking about 90% of the time, but I aim to make that change. Should wrap this up though... back to lurking.

Edited by cscboulder11

Welcome.

Don't lurk. If you have questions please ask. That'll help your understanding. Just realize that if you haven't attempted to do some research on your own first we'll be able to tell. We'll then tell you to look it up and come back with what you found.

However, if you've tried to find an answer and couldn't, or still don't understand what you're reading, then please tell us and ask. We're usually pretty happy to help.

Welcome!

As EMT's one of the benefits of EMT City is that we have thee opportunity to converse with providers that are above our scope of practice. Although we cannot arbitrarily increase our scope, the additional knowledge gives us a better understanding of how the systems work and help us be more well rounded providers as well as providing a network of professionals that will help with questions about different agencies around the country and the world.

I congratulate you for endeavoring to become an EMT. The knowledge and skills are very rewarding even if you do not seek a career in EMS. The mobile society that we live in needs that the general public have a working understanding of Basic Emergency Care. You never know when a simple procedure may save a life, possibly your own.

An added benefit of being a certified EMT is that many employers consider it a plus when evaluating job candidates. Employers also recognize that having trained personnel is advantageous for their companies. It can make the difference in being chosen for a job position.

Jump in and enjoy. Not all of us are that good and you will find that some of us, mainly me, post things that are way off the mark and are soon corrected by those that know better.

It's good to have you. I will be looking forward to your perspective in the threads. The more you research and post increases your ability to learn.

Edited by DFIB

Yeah, lurking is bad...But better than nothing!

Not just for you, but for us as well. As DFIB mentioned, you have an opportunity to run your ideas past a ton of providers with higher education and more experience than yourself. No one is here on parole, they are all here by choice, and much of the reason that they choose so is to help out folks just getting started, like you.

The flip side is, there are a ton of us that haven't seen a classroom in a few days, and some, like Mike above, that took their exams with charcoal sticks sharpened in the fire. The point being that there is a lot of really good and valuable information that you'll be exposed to that many have not considered for a while, but would like to. So your questions aren't a burden, so don't think like that.

The only thing that irritates posters like me, is being timid and submissive. EMS when done well is very kind, and intelligent, and professional, but if you truly want to learn to be decent at this, at times it can be emotionally a full contact sport too. EMS is something that you will DO, not sit back and think about doing. Your ideas will have weight, and here is an excellent place to practice sorting those ideas and developing your logic trees.

Get good with the fact that often the most value that you'll take away from a conversation is that you're idea was completely boneheaded, ill conceived, and ridiculous. Though I know of few here that would use such terms to describe it. While at first this can be really intimidating, as we all want to be right all the time, I think that you'll come to find that that is where the real power. Getting help with eliminating bullshit ideas that all of your buddies will consider facts and/or think are really cool.

So, sit on your hands, lurk, and be welcome. Or participate and get busy with the business of choosing to be exceptional in the new career direction that you're considering.

Good to have you man...I look forward to your thoughts.

Dwayne

Just realize that if you haven't attempted to do some research on your own first we'll be able to tell.

Perhaps I should've clarified what I was searching. I was looking more at job qualifications, salary range (I'm not a money hunter, but I need to be self-sufficient.), what type of training is involved, etc. Before I started searching, I thought all EMTs = paramedic... the things you learn.

An added benefit of being a certified EMT is that many employers consider it a plus when evaluating job candidates. Employers also recognize that having trained personnel is advantageous for their companies. It can make the difference in being chosen for a job position. Jump in and enjoy. Not all of us are that good and you will find that some of us, mainly me, post things that are way off the mark and are soon corrected by those that know better. It's good to have you. I will be looking forward to your perspective in the threads. The more you research and post increases your ability to learn.

I hadn't even thought about any additional benefits in terms of employment. Yet another reason to go after EMS. For now, my scope is very limited and I'm not going to pretend to know something when I don't, so my scope is rather limited, but I'll try to find threads that are open to input from a starting civilian.

Getting help with eliminating bullshit ideas that all of your buddies will consider facts and/or think are really cool. So, sit on your hands, lurk, and be welcome. Or participate and get busy with the business of choosing to be exceptional in the new career direction that you're considering. Good to have you man...I look forward to your thoughts. Dwayne

Another reason why I like this site. I see a chance to learn everywhere and would rather have someone give it to me straight than telling me otherwise.

• Like 1

Perhaps I should've clarified what I was searching. I was looking more at job qualifications, salary range (I'm not a money hunter, but I need to be self-sufficient.), what type of training is involved, etc. Before I started searching, I thought all EMTs = paramedic... the things you learn.

The levels of EMS providers are EMR (Emergency Medical Responder), EMT-Basic, EMT- Intermediate and EMT- Advanced that is the same as EMT Paramedic.

My son is an EMT and works at a distribution center. When he applied they were interested in his medical skills but also that he had been trained on proper lifting to avoid injury. It probably didn't hurt that he has his FF Cert. as well. You never know when you are going to have to put out a fire. :)

All threads are within limits if they interest you and you approach them sincerely Brother..

Speaking of which, we're neighbors it appears? I too live in the Springs. Maybe we can arrange a cup of coffee when I get back stateside?

Dwayne

Speaking of which, we're neighbors it appears? I too live in the Springs. Maybe we can arrange a cup of coffee when I get back stateside? Dwayne

It's a little early for me, but in time, sure. Be aware I would probably have 1,001 questions for you though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.