Need opinions, is this ok?

Sublime

I have a medic job interview with a major service in my area on feb. 8th. I already was (and still am) working a steady full time position when I applied for this position a little over a week ago. The ordeal is that I have a planned vacation that is paid for towards the end of march. If I'm offered a position is it fair / reasonable for me to ask of I can start when I get back? I know this service has a very strict orientation/training process, so I don't know how accepting they will be to that. What would you do?

Rejecting the position if it is offered would not be an option, I really want the job, but don't want to throw away our vacation either.

Thanks

I have a medic job interview with a major service in my area on feb. 8th. I already was (and still am) working a steady full time position when I applied for this position a little over a week ago. The ordeal is that I have a planned vacation that is paid for towards the end of march. If I'm offered a position is it fair / reasonable for me to ask of I can start when I get back? I know this service has a very strict orientation/training process, so I don't know how accepting they will be to that. What would you do?

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask what the time-line for the hiring process is during the interview.

If you want the job badly, and there's a lot of competition, I don't think I'd ask about the vacation during the interview, unless you have some sort of extenuating circumstances surrounding it, e.g. terminally ill relative, family member getting married, etc. It probably doesn't give the best first impression -- and you've said you'd rather have the job than the vacation anyway. I think it gives the wrong idea, like you've assumed you've already got the job, or you've not even started yet and already want time off.

I'd wait until they give you a job offer, and at that point I'd ask if you can still take the planned vacation. They're not going to rescind the job offer, based on you asking. But they may say no. In that case you just take the job.

[if, on the other hand, you decide you're taking the vacation no matter what, then I'd definitely tell them in the interview, politely. I'd just say something like, look, I'm really interested in this position, but I've made commitments to my family that I can't break, so if this isn't going to work, I'd like to thank you for you time, apologise for any inconvenience I've caused, and hope that you'd be willing to consider me in the future. You don't want to wait until they've narrowed down the field, made final offers, and that say, oh, btw, I wasn't really a serious applicant. It might come back to haunt you.]

• Like 1

My two cents...that information is just as private as any other personal information that they can't ask you. So, you wait until they offer the position. Then, at the point of the offer, let them know. If they decide at that point that they can't wait, then you guys part ways and they will go to the next candidate on the list. They, usually, never tell those who didn't get it until they know everyone who did has accepted. :D

Your vacation was provided as a bonus from your old employer. Your new employer probably doesn't care about the vacation needs of rookie employees. Especially if this a competitive position, demanding they adjust their hiring schedule to suit your needs is really bad form. I mean, I guess it never hurts to ask... but... if I was the hiring manager and I took the time to offer you a position for a highly coveted spot, and you responded by asking about vacations, I'd go down to the next name on the list.

I don't know. Depending on the circumstances employers often do work with new hires if it's presented correctly.

If the orientation process for new hires allows, and if it's presented professionally after the offer has been made, employers aren't always so hard nosed about preplanned vacations. It may mean time off without pay. But if handled as Systemet and TCripp presented it's not always a lose/lose situation.

Of course, the new employer is still well within their rights to say no and you're then stuck with taking the job or the vacation.

...if I was the hiring manager and I took the time to offer you a position for a highly coveted spot, and you responded by asking about vacations, I'd go down to the next name on the list.

Don't go gung ho about the vacation - but rather accept the position and then let them know about the plans. Offer (if it's possible) to come in prior to to get as much done. Make the appearance that the job is more important but that the vacation is already scheduled/paid for.