The CCEMT-P vs the EMT-P

As I have said before, with the design of the US education system the way it is the most appropriate option is a two year AS for ILS (called Paramedic) and a four year BS for ALS/CCP (called either Advanced Care or Intensive Care Paramedic) with the BLS (EMT) option reserved for volunteers as a reasonable alternate

That is a mix between how it works in New Zealand, Canada and South Africa

Excellent, I have found my pants, go buy some soy sauce and cashew nuts and I will be on the plane to New Arizomexas (I have not figured out which state you live in yet, and its fine that you do not disclose, I do not expect you to)

• Like 1

I waited 7 years to take ccemtp and I found it to be a remarkably difficult course, but the kick in the but the I really needed professionally. I don't do any critical care except further occasional hyperbaric trip across the street but still found much of the information valuable for my everyday practice, however I mainly took it tohelp push me into the research world.

I also am ending my 6 year college hiatus this next fall and going back to finish the 3 semesters I have left on my bachelors.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

...and the UK do not have such a level

SECAmb have had CCPs for a couple of years now. Lots of interest in the UK to get more trusts moving forward with CCPs, but many people still only see it as something more do at the scene of a trauma (thoracotomies, surgical crics, RSI etc).

http://www.nhsconfed.org/Publications/Documents/Report_Critical_care_paramedics.pdf

SECAmb have had CCPs for a couple of years now. Lots of interest in the UK to get more trusts moving forward with CCPs, but many people still only see it as something more do at the scene of a trauma (thoracotomies, surgical crics, RSI etc).

I have seen that. The UK presents a somewhat perplexing system in that the UK Paramedic scope is quite limited compared to US/AU/NZ, the removal of the Technician and introduction of the ECA/ECSW, and the UK makes use of the BASICS Doctors.

Certainly in the past of the world there has been a move to heavily upskill the Ambulance Officer (Technician in the UK) to provide more ability to keep the higher level free for more complex and critical cases so they are using their skills such as RSI frequently. Interestingly this is not the way the UK has moved so has introduced an additional level of "CCP" whereas many of the things performed by a CCP are standard ICP (ALS) level interventions here.

Mind you I am not sure such a system in UK would work considering how insanely busy they are and probably extremely low usage of such interventions

Nee naw nee naw red base November 100 on location yes can I have two scoops of chips this time please mate, we have to feed the other Complex as well :D

I think the UK CCP will really only take hold if they place more emphasis on interfacility transfers (currently about 4% of their workload), instead of finding more reasons to extend scene time for big sick traumas. CCP funding, ultimately from the public purse, can only go so far if they are limiting their role to a fraction of what a BASICS doc can do for free.

WAIT WAIT WAIT

The quoting is messed up. I am not the one who is asking this question

I'd be curious as to the opinions of the group - brand new paramedic - should they be going out and getting their CCEMTP or wait to get some experience under their belts?

That question was first posed by Runswithneedles. The quotes somewhere along the lines got crossed..

Please refer to the first post of this thread.

Heh...I was just breezing through the thread before jumping into the middle of you with both feet for that question Mike... :-)

I'm glad you cleared it up.

Though I get that that's not happened here we do seem to have a double standard of "Learn all that you can. You can never have to much education." until someone wants to reach beyond their grasp, at which time we seem to often switch gears to, "Now hold on there Sparky, let's not be getting all uppity."

I'm glad that that didn't happen in this case...did it?

I was fortunate enough to attend a CCEMTP during my career. The site at which I attended put together a very impressive cohort of lecturers that were experts in the content upon which they were speaking. The subject matter was current and relevant to clinical practice.

One of the benefits of the attending program was interacting with my classmates. The program participants were from all over the nation. Their clinical experiences included 911 response, inter-facility, miltary, aeromedical, and remote medicine. In addition to the content of the program, we were able to gain knowledge from each other about different EMS systems and standards of care.

I would highly recommend taking the program. The only caveat I would offer is that the quality of the program will vary based upon the the resources of the host site. An interested individual should thoroughly investigate the program site that they are considering.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.