Emt-B Student Clinicals

As far as my Basic class, we were told to do an 8-hour shift in the Emergency Room and by the end of class, our instructor expected us to have ten runs with any squad, including our home squad. We had an abbreviated patient form that we had to fill out on each run and turn it in by the end of class. I didn't have to go any where out of my home EMS station to get my runs in.

Medic class on the other hand, I have to have 200 hours of ride-time in at least four different "pre-approved" departments. Then, 150 hours of clinical time in various categories (ED, ICU, OR, OB, Respiratory Therapy) with specific skill sets we are to observe and/or perform.

Strict school guidelines as to uniform, unless told differently by the department you are riding with.

Put more emphasis with ER than ambulance. Depending on where you live your FD might have a low call volume. So you will either be sitting on your butt studying or you might be asked to assist in station duties. And also keep in mind EMS consists of 98% BS and 2% legitimate calls. Also talk to the medic students who where their in their basic or have been there for a while. They can tell you which stations have the highest call volumes shifts to stay away from and which shifts are recommended. And what kind of calls you could see with each station as one may have a highway in its district or several very dicey nursing homes where you might find some good medical runs. Also some stations and shifts hate students and will treat you like s***. Know your boundaries, offer to help whenever they are doing station duties, if they ask you to stand back just do it, if they offer to show you the box and where everything is say yes no matter how many times other stations have made you do it. You will find that some trucks may be outfitted differently or have equipment in different places or different bags. As I was saying with ER. Your more likely to find something interesting and you will have less down time.

Edited by Mike Ellis

You have both gotten some great info from everyone so far! Just wanted to say that your hospital time will be so incredibly valuable to you, IF you put the time in to learn. No one (in hospital or on the rig) is going to MAKE you do anything. If you just sit in the corner and watch, you won't get much out of your experience. Don't be afraid. Jump in and do whatever you can that is in your scope of practice. They know you are a student, and they aren't going to let you harm a patient. But you MUST make that effort to learn. You will find that not everyone you encounter in the field or hospital is going to want to teach you. It is a rare finding (or at least in my experience) that someone will actually force you to do something so you can learn. I am in the same position in my paramedic clinicals, so I speak from experience. I sat back my first day in the ER and lost out on 2 intubations and a code and the learning experience that I could have had from performing those skills. The second and third day, I jumped in on every code, every EMS delivery, and every walk in patient that showed up and was allowed to do everything that I asked to do. Yea, I was scared, but I learned so much more by actually performing the skills. And when you are in the ER, listen to the radio reports coming in. Learn what that hospital wants to know. Will prepare you really well for when you get on the ambulance and have to actually start giving radio reports. MICNs in my experience hate to have to keep asking questions about your patient. They have a lot to do before your arrival and if you have a 30sec ETA, they need to get moving, so just listen to what is going on around you while you are there.

Please don't just blow off your clinical and ride time, especially since you said you want to go straight to paramedic. Jump in, ask questions when appropriate, and learn everything you can from your preceptors. Stay on their good side, help with chores and if they ask you to do something, do it. I still keep in touch with my preceptors from EMT clinicals and our FD ride outs and they have been so helpful in getting through medic school. This profession is one big family. You don't want to blow it during school ride outs because you didn't take it seriously. Not that you won't, I'm sure you wouldn't be where you are if you weren't serious about it, just giving you fair warning. Good luck to you both and let us know how it goes!

When I did my clinical time, I got right in with the first patient through the doors. I first introduced myself or the nurse introduced me and went from there. No one had to ask me to take vitals, assist the patient in any way possible , asking all the pertinent questions as to why they were there. I cleaned wounds, bandaged people up, accompanying patient to x-ray, and assisted the nurse or Dr. any way I could. I also cleaned up the room and sanitized the cot without being asked. Then went on to the next patient, trying to get as many patient contacts as possible. I worked my buns off and did it as professionally as I could.

The one thing that did make me very angry was another student. He would walk in the exam area/room, walk out and resumed his leaning stance against the desk in the ER. When the patient report was done he simply copied it, that was his way of documenting patient contacts. Don’t be that student. That student was in the same group as my class was when it came time to do practical’s. He failed miserably.

Get as much rest or a good nights sleep as possible. Be clean and neatly dressed. Your whole demeanor will be a reflection of the hospital or ambulance service, and your school. Do them proud. Good Luck

• Like 1