Emt-B Student Clinicals

As a new EMT-B Student, I'm starting my clinicals in a little under a month. What should I expect from the FD ride along and the Hospital setting? Is there anything I should ask or shouldn't ask?

Thank you for your help,

Chris

There is nothing that you shouldn't ask. However, there are things you shouldn't ask in the moment. There's a time and place for everything. Learn when it's appropriate to ask as it's happening and when you need to wait for the ride back to the station to ask.

What components make up your clinical phase of class?

As a new EMT-B Student, I'm starting my clinicals in a little under a month. What should I expect from the FD ride along and the Hospital setting? Is there anything I should ask or shouldn't ask?

Thank you for your help,

Chris

Mike is right about timing. Definitely saving your questions until after patient contact is the best way to go. :D

I am preparing myself for the same thing as well, Just out of curiosity how long is the ride-along/ hospital time for?

This question is best saved for your clinical coordinator. Each program may be different.

But, for you both. I've noticed, lately, some students aren't taking their clinicals and/or ride outs seriously. So, this is just a heads up for you.

1. Understand exactly when and where your clinical is supposed to be and double confirm it. Then, plan to show up at least 10 minutes prior to that start time. Learn now that 10 minutes early = on time and on time = late.
  2. Understand what components are considered a part of your uniform and ensure you have all components with you. Please...this does include a watch, a black pen and, possibly, a stethoscope. You are entering the world of medicine and these are tools you need to do the job.
  3. When you go on your ride out, bring with you some snacks/food AND money. You don't know your crew so the expectation of when and where you will get to eat will not be yours. It will be left up to the crew.
  4. Bring a book with you for potential down time. And, by that, I don't mean a love story or mystery novel. Bring with you your text book or other homework. And, it's okay to ask questions about your text/homework. It shows your FTO that you are serious about the business.
  5. Remember - you are in their "home" and you should treat it as such. Keep your feet off the coffee table. Get up and help with chores. You aren't a guest...you are there to work and learn. Learn these words, "What can I do to help?"
  6. And, my biggest pet peeve...GET A GOOD NIGHTS SLEEP BEFORE YOU GET ON SHIFT. I am horrified at the number of people who come in and decide that a nap is appropriate. If your crew isn't sleeping, then neither should you be. And, even then, it's questionable. Your aren't familiar with the tones and they are not expected to wake your happy ass for a call.

Okay - off my soap box. Now, make us proud!

I am preparing myself for the same thing as well, Just out of curiosity how long is the ride-along/ hospital time for?

Are you suggesting that you didn't explore this before starting your class? As was mentioned, this is best referred to your instructor staff.

I'm a little disturbed by the fact that you don't know this yet.

There is nothing that you shouldn't ask. However, there are things you shouldn't ask in the moment. There's a time and place for everything. Learn when it's appropriate to ask as it's happening and when you need to wait for the ride back to the station to ask.

What components make up your clinical phase of class?

We have to do 16 hours in a Hospital setting and 84 with FD. I elected to do a few more shifts of FD than what is required as I'm going straight from EMT-B to Paramedic and want to have as much experience as I can get before I'm off clinicals for a bit. We've been told to make sure we have money for meals, expect to do lots of CPR, and we aren't allowed to use Auto-pulse unless the Paramedic with FD decides to.

We have to do 16 hours in a Hospital setting and 84 with FD. I elected to do a few more shifts of FD than what is required as I'm going straight from EMT-B to Paramedic and want to have as much experience as I can get before I'm off clinicals for a bit. We've been told to make sure we have money for meals, expect to do lots of CPR, and we aren't allowed to use Auto-pulse unless the Paramedic with FD decides to.

I would suggest you not discount your time in the ER as less useful or important than the FD. During clinicals at the ED you will see more patients in more detail while being proctored by a higher level provider. You can learn a lot more from the hospital staff than from medics in the field. Just be sure to participate as much as you can and ask lots of questions at the appropriate time.

I'll echo DFIB's comments. Not only will you learn more from hospital staffers regarding patient care and what's going on with your patients, but you'll also learn ways to do your job better in the field in an effort to prepare your patients for what's going to happen in the ER. Continuity of care is an important concept to maintain from both a patient care standpoint and from the patient's perspective. If you can at least give them an idea what's coming or what may be coming it can often ease their mind in what is already a stressful situation. So don't discount your ER time as it will be more valuable to you than you know.

I'll also say good on you for going straight through to paramedic.

The only thing I have some concern over is the expectation that you do a lot of CPR. While this is true, you will do a lot of CPR, not being allowed to use the AutoPulse or whatever you have is a little foolish. First, maintaining quality compressions is hard to do. People get tired and their ability to do compressions fades pretty quickly over the course of a code. And it has been demonstrated repeatedly that quality CPR offers a potentially revivable patient the best chances of survival. This would be worth a conversation with your crew/preceptors before your first call of the day. Make it clear that you're not getting out of work. Present it as you're trying to do the best for the patient.

But still expect to do a lot of CPR.

Good points Toni! A couple of things occur to me that I would like to add.

Mike is right about timing. Definitely saving your questions until after patient contact is the best way to go. :D

This question is best saved for your clinical coordinator. Each program may be different.

But, for you both. I've noticed, lately, some students aren't taking their clinicals and/or ride outs seriously. So, this is just a heads up for you.

1. Understand exactly when and where your clinical is supposed to be and double confirm it. Then, plan to show up at least 10 minutes prior to that start time. Learn now that 10 minutes early = on time and on time = late

I actually drove to the clinical site a day in advance to make sure I knew where it was. I arrived half an hour early, announced my arrival and waited out of the way for an assignment. Give yourself time for traffic, a flat tire and any other possible delay.

Treat your ride outs like you were applying for a job with the service. This helps me take every moment seriously and put forth my best effort at all times.

2. Understand what components are considered a part of your uniform and ensure you have all components with you. Please...this does include a watch, a black pen and, possibly, a stethoscope. You are entering the world of medicine and these are tools you need to do the job.

Carry a notebook with tidbits of information that you might forget like vital signs for different ages and any other thing you have a hard time remembering. The notebook will also come in handy to write down cool and useful information the nurses of doctors may provide. The ED proctors are not EMTs or Medics but they see tons of EMTs come through their department and know what a squared away EMT looks like. They also know how a sloppy uncaring EMTs looks as well. Polish your boots, starch your shirt and pants, make sure your hair is clean and well groomed, clean and check your gear and have it handy. Smile, be a gentleman and party on! (Nurses go nuts over well mannered young men in uniform)

DFIB, I so TOTALLY forgot about the uniform - clean/pressed and boots shined. Again, I am amazed at how some people show up. FYI - bright whites are usually much more professional than dingy whites. Don't wash your whites with your blues or reds. :D