BS v. AAS

Ignite44

Today, while I was looking at and applying to colleges, I found a school that offers a BS in emergency services(specifically in critical care paramedic) , but all of the other schools I am applying to offer an AAS. My question is: is there a benefit to having a BS over an AAS?

Central Washington University has offered a BS for many years. Pre-reqs plus year of program land you with your certificate. They now have the 3rd year (3 year BS) designed to be your first year in the field, and is available all online. It focuses on management, finance and research rather than the CC-P side however. They are now accepting anyone with the 2 year EMS degree to take the 3rd year online and get your bachelors.

http://www.cwu.edu/~nehs/paramedics/Advanced_Paramedic.php

Fireman1037

Edited to add program URL

Edited by Fireman1037

I would ensure any degree has a good amount of foundational coursework. Pre calculus, Statistics, Humanities and Behavioural sciences classes should be the bare minimum. This makes the transition to a higher degree or the pursuit of another degree much easier. Unfortunately, this is often where AAS degrees fail. Many people with AAS degrees may lack enough of these classes because their degree is so focused. Then, you are playing catch up when trying to complete a BA/BS.

Bachelor of Arts (BA) and Bachelor of Science (BS) I understand. AAS, not so much. Someone please translate?

Then, there was the group of new recruits, being confronted by the USMC Master Gunnery Sargent. He asked how many of the recruits had finisned High School, how many had started college, and how many had graduated college. Then he asked how many had been in Post-Graduate Studies. One man had been in Post Graduate Studies, and the Master Gunnery Sargent asked him if he'd earned his PHD. Answer:no.

The Master Gunnery Sargent then presented the man with a PHD: a Post Hole Digger.

AAS is associate of applied science. As the name suggests, it is an associate degree that focuses on some scientific/technical application. Typically, this pertains to a nursing or allied health application, sometimes other technical applications such as water technology also have AAS degrees. However, the AAS differs from a conventional AS/AA degree in that the AAS often does not require significant humanities and fine arts coursework. Therefore, people with AAS degrees often have to take additional courses to make the BA/BS transition.

Central Washington University has offered a BS for many years. Pre-reqs plus year of program land you with your certificate. They now have the 3rd year (3 year BS) designed to be your first year in the field, and is available all online. It focuses on management, finance and research rather than the CC-P side however. They are now accepting anyone with the 2 year EMS degree to take the 3rd year online and get your bachelors.

http://www.cwu.edu/~...d_Paramedic.php

Fireman1037

Edited to add program URL

Thanks for the info. I'm not interested in the management part, at least not yet but maybe in the future

I would ensure any degree has a good amount of foundational coursework. Pre calculus, Statistics, Humanities and Behavioural sciences classes should be the bare minimum. This makes the transition to a higher degree or the pursuit of another degree much easier. Unfortunately, this is often where AAS degrees fail. Many people with AAS degrees may lack enough of these classes because their degree is so focused. Then, you are playing catch up when trying to complete a BA/BS.

So the BS is the best option. thanks, this helped alot.

Considering I'm working on getting started on a BS in paramedicine degree this year, I sure hope so!

Seriously, though, a bachelors degree DOES confer a lot of benefits, although they're not always immediately received. You make yourself more competitive for employment and promotion, learn a lot about management and business and hopefully get some additional clinical knowledge out of it as well, and--arguably most importantly--give yourself the option to continue on to to graduate school or some other non-EMS profession if EMS doesn't pan out for you.

Where I live (Kansas), an associates degree is required to become a paramedic here, however unfortunately we don't have any bachelors degree programs in EMS here. I'm currently looking at Northern Arizona University and the University of Pittsburgh for my four year degree (as they have online options and also give credit for existing paramedics/paramedics with AAS degrees).

Bieber and Ignite44, FYI, Western Carolina University also offers a BS in Paramedicine. The programme is entirely online save for I believe 1 or 2 times (but don't quote me on that). I started the programme before switching tracks to Nursing, but I think Mateo is still enrolled in it. I know there are 2 different tracks to follow, mgmt and premed.

Just thought I through that into the mix, food for thought so to speak.

Good luck with whichever programme you decide on and kudos for furthering your education!

http://www.wcu.edu/4637.asp

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.