What got you into EMS?

This is the first time creating a thread here, before I begin though; thanks for the warm welcome. I appreciate it.

I'd like to ask all you fine folks: what got you into EMS? I respect those that do not wish to spout off their reasons and choices on an Internet forum (or otherwise) so feel free to simply ignore the thread.

--

What got me into EMS:

For quite a while I had an interest in forensic sciences. A goal was to be a forensic identification officer with the RCMP. That goal shifted after a while. I learned that to be in the Ident. section of the RCMP, they required 3-years experience as a patrol officer/constable and they weren't actively hiring civilians (or considering it for that matte). Being a full-time patrol officer/constable was simply not something I was dedicated to doing and in doing so, I thought would be unfair to the community at large.

I started getting interested in EMS when I was 15-years-old. I found the idea of emergency medicine intriguing and it helped that I had a strong interest in the sciences as well. By the time I turned 17-years-old, I was confident that it was something I wanted to do as a career. I got first aid/CPR certified by the Red Cross, and was amused by how many people who were now certified considered themselves "pretty much a paramedic now." I was also bored with the material (no disrespect to those fine folks though--it just wasn't enough for me personally). I wasn't expecting medical school content here, I just wanted more. A week later I registered for the EMR course at JIBC and here I am now. I still have a good ways to go however and look forward to it.

--

All the best,

B. Anderson

• Like 1

You're still kind of new to the site, so you didn't know to use the search function to find previous entries on this topic. However, I digress, and will respond to the question.

I became a part of the EMS community, as it was something to do on a Tuesday. At the time (1973), I was a college student at Long Island University, Brooklyn Center, Zeckendorf Campus, and attending Mondays, Wednsdays, Thursdays and Fridays. A class I took on Thursdays had one day the professor didn't show up. We found out the next day he had died of a Sudden Cardiac Arrest, in a restaurant across Flatbush Avenue from campus, and 3/4 mile from the nearest hospital, which didn't run an ambulance. The 9-1-1 ambulance that responded, took over an hour to arrive.

Some months before, a buddy of mine was riding his motorcycle, leading 2 other Parks Department seasonal employees back into our community, who were driving his Plymoth Cricket, when the car somehow failed to negotiate a turn in the road. FDNY responded immediately, as they heard the crash from their firehouse, but the local 9-1-1 ambulance base, while only a mile away, took over a half hour to respond.

Around this time, in the fall of 1973, a group of concerned persons decided to form up a Volunteer Ambulance service, had started fundraising, had use of 2 "demonstrator" ambulances from a friendly dealership, and were posting noitices around the community asking for help. I was sitting on the fence about joining, when my buddy called me up, and decided for me, that WE would be joining the still forming group, which would become the Peninsula Volunteer Ambulance Corps. I, at then age 19, wanted to drive, under the impression that all traffic would clear for me, my lights and sirens.Gee wasn't I uninformed back then. The group's founders told me they wouldn't let me drive until I was 21, due to "Insurance rules", but I could become an EMT.

"What is a EMT"? I asked.

From the spring of 1974, until the winter of 1996, I "teched", drove, dispatched, knocked on doors and danced in the streets for fundraising, was made quartermaster, dispatch training officer/radio officer, alternate and regular delegate to the New York State Volunteer Ambulance and Rescue Association (District 4, NYC metropolitan area), elected to Comptroller, and was even the Chief of Operations.

The training led to employment at a series of 5 different private, non 9-1-1 Inter-Facility-Transport ambulance services, and finally, in June of 1985, to the NYC Health and Hospitals Corporation EMS, which was "merged" into the FDNY in 1996.

PVAC would eventually close down, due to what I refer to as the lack of the "M&Ms", as in Members and Money. You need one to get the other. This happened in 1996, several months after the EMS/FDNY merger.

Due to assorted injuries, I was forced into medical retirement from FDNY EMS Command as of October 5, 2010. However, as I mostly worked the "4 to Midnight" tours, and the Continuing Medical Education classes were at night, I am now attending a bunch of these classes, as my NY State EMT "certs' are good through 2015.

The buddy who made me join? He dropped out of the "biz" after about a year and a half. After these 38 years, I wonder if my partners along the way would shake his hand, or punch him out, due to me!

I've been a Boy Scout since I was 16. (Venturing! Funny how they let you mix AFTER you hit puberty... just sayin'...)

So, this is a roundabout kind of story. I was homeschooled until high school, they had us fill out this BSA based interest survey, got a mailing from a local Venturing crew and recognized the fellow in the picture- he was one of the basses from my choir! So I joined up and became a First Responder. Started doing EMS ride alongs with one of the adult basics in my crew (who is still an advisor to this day...) and then took my EMT when I turned 18, between my first and second years of college.

I have mostly used my EMT-B in the wilderness setting, either with the Boy Scouts or the local Search and Rescue crew that I am now with. I was a BSA summer camp medic for 2 summers, which is where I met my spouse!

I have only worked prehospital 911/transport for pay once. Let's just say I tangled with some bass-ackwards anti-education folks and ended up fleeing to elder care instead, which has worked out nicely with my school schedule as I pursue my associate's degree RN (which will then be bridged to a Bachelor's ASAP.)

Wendy

CO EMT-B

You're still kind of new to the site, so you didn't know to use the search function to find previous entries on this topic.

I did, and didn't result in anything. Couldn't come up with anything relevant (even with advanced search). Obviously, I'm just a little slow, do you have a link?

Very interesting story, Richard. Sorry to hear of your injuries, and the untimely end to your career. I wish you the best, and you're doing better. If it means anything, I appreciate your contribution to EMS.

All the best,

B. Anderson

... Being a full-time patrol officer/constable was simply not something I was dedicated to doing and in doing so, I thought would be unfair to the community at large...

Holy shit, you seem to think that you should choose a career based on your interests and abilities instead of trying to bullshit people with your perceived heroism!! Ridiculous...you have no place in EMS.

I still have a good ways to go however and look forward to it....

And you want to grow...stop now! You're embarrassing yourself!!

:-)

I saw a woman get hit by a taxi. I saw her go cartwheeling through the air. I ran to help, as I'd seen accidents before and no one seemed to want to step up to the plate. Both arms and legs had multiple breaks, her face we nearly unrecognizable. I had no idea what to do. So I did the only thing that I could think of. She was wearing a short skirt with no panties....so I pulled her skirt down for modesty.

I took a basic course so that I wouldn't have to feel so helpless again.

I remember so clear, my first week of basic, thinking, "Oh my God!! It never occurred to me to wonder if she was alive!! I did nothing because I didn't know what to do about all of the broken bones, but her LIFE didn't even occur to me!!" The anger, not at my ignorance, as that was to be expected, but at my complete lack of common sense when my heart was thumping, set the stage for everything else I've done that followed.

During the course we had many medic instructors and for about half of them I thought, "Jesus Christ, what a dipshit! If he can do it, I know that I can do it." The other half I thought, "Holy shit...how cool is he? I would be willing to work really hard to be able to spend my days with competent, professional people like that.."

And so, later, continued on to medic school.

And now, thanks to the City, I get to spend my time with kind, intelligent professionals, but never have to get close enough to them so that they can see that I ended up being one of the dipshits...It's the best of both worlds.... :-)

Dwayne

• Like 1

I've been a Boy Scout since I was 16. (Venturing! Funny how they let you mix AFTER you hit puberty... just sayin'...)

Wendy

CO EMT-B

I bet co-ed boyscouts swells the ranks!

I began studying EMT because I live in a rural area where EMS exist but just barely and there are no Good Samaritan laws. At the time I enrolled there were maybe 4 EMTs in about a 100 mile radius. I frequently would come across MVCs in remote areas where people were looking at least an hour response time and could not help because of legal liability and I had no clue what to do.. As Dwayne I hated that helpless feeling when faced with trauma. I saw a granny colide with a motorcycle with similar results as Dwayne's story.

In this region EMS workers are required to render aid and have protection under the law. So when the course came open I enrolled. I talked my son into taking the course with me in hopes that I would spark his interest in medicine. It was a great opportunity to spend time with him as well. We got involved in high angle rescue and he liked that better. He is a fireman now, I am an EMT-B that is starting paramedic classes.

For me it was all about my love for the medical sciences and helping people.

Edited by DFIB

I did, and didn't result in anything.

That has been known to happen.

Sorry to hear of your injuries, and the untimely end to your career.
I just cannot lift, due to my back and knees.

. I wish you the best, and you're doing better. If it means anything, I appreciate your contribution to EMS.

Thank you. Being one of those obnoxious jerks who love talking about themselves, or their percieved views of the world, I seem to have found a home here. Also, when called on my errors, when explained, I admit them.

I've been a Boy Scout

While I never got further than "Tenderfoot", Momma B feels that my entire EMS life has been as a "boy scout", helping people.

I saw a woman get hit by a taxi. I saw her go cartwheeling through the air. I ran to help, as I'd seen accidents before and no one seemed to want to step up to the plate. Both arms and legs had multiple breaks, her face we nearly unrecognizable. I had no idea what to do. So I did the only thing that I could think of. She was wearing a short skirt with no panties....so I pulled her skirt down for modesty.

What you did for the woman (as you know) was likely more than anyone else would have done. Good on you. It's sad we live in a world where many people worry more about legal liability and lawsuits than they do of their fellow man.

I talked my son into taking the course with me in hopes that I would spark his interest in medicine. It was a great opportunity to spend time with him as well.

That's probably one of the most productive ways to spend time with someone. Very nice that you took the course with your son.

All the best,

B. Anderson

• Like 1

William Shatner is actually the reason why I'm here.

Back in the late 80s/early 90s I really enjoyed watching the show "Rescue 911." While seeing the police and firemen do their thing was fun (I come from a police family), I always thought first aid was neat-o and that Paramedics had the coolest jobs!

There is lots of other stuff that happened between then and actually working on-car for the first time. But it all began with Capt Kirk.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.