Paramedic student in need of some help

kndoug1

Thanks Dwayne. I wasn't actually referring to necessarily letting them get to you personally and letting that interfere with your job (although, I'm sure as the new kid it will happen). I was more referring to a run in I had back in EMT school with a medic my school had set me up with for our ride outs. This particular individual was having a bad day or something and basically told a patient off and they were then unable to actually do anything for this patient because they lost that trust. I saw how not having that trust from your patient can affect your work, and it's something that I try very hard to have not happen on the job. In class, we tend not to focus on the whole "people skills" aspect of the job, when in fact that is such a big part of our jobs. That's all I was referring to. But thank you for that advice. As an EMT, I rarely have patients fighting me and crying when I am trying to do something, so I will definitely remember that the first time I get a screaming patient when I'm trying to start an IV.

Fireman1037 Why don't you ask your driver to stop right before making the stick? This is a real question.

You shouldn't need to stop in order to start a peripheral IV unless it's on a really squirmy PEDI.

I have a hard time doing them in clean ,non moving well lit ER rooms.

. You can do your skills a million times in the classroom, but the second you get a real person in front of you things change. I definitely won't be going into clinicals and my internship super confident because I know that having a real patient in front of you changes things. You don't have to build a rapport with a dummy arm, you do have to with a real patient if you have any hope of starting a line on someone. Thanks for your response. You listed a lot of good things that made me think of things I want to brush up on that I had forgotten about.

True enough, try to learn as much of the basic skills in hospital as possible. Especially as it`s not getting any easier in the field. It`s a bit different without good lightning, enough space and a cosy warm temperature.

When I had my OR rotation, one doc insisted that I`d have to sit while doing an IV (`cause back when he was in training, their chief insisted on it, too).

I thought, like - yeah... real helpful, `cause that`s how I`ll do it in the field, too. ;)

Edited by Vorenus