What Do You Ask?

missfirefighteremt

We provided door and car window decals with our Vial of Life kits... So, would-be-rescuers would know to look in the fridge, or the glove box, for said pill-bottle-looking-device. WalMart and the local news station did something similar.

I could scan one, along with our old training night forms for patient assessment. But with only a few, well seasoned souls left, we don't do training nights anymore.

So your out on a call and you have no information what-so-ever about the patient. How in the world is File of Life gonna be helpful?

Thought so.. And not all hospitals have it. The nearest hospital we have here, doesn't even know what File of Life is, let alone use it.

And for another fact is, why is it assumed that I want to be paid for this? And the medical ID cards haven't been introduced to my area.

It's a simple thing called a donation that people can give to help with the costs. Other then that, it's coming out of my own pocket.

I'm sorry for asking such a 'stupid' question, but I thought you guys could help out on some of the questions I haven't thought of yet or if there were more important ones.

And DFIB, my teacher in college wasn't at all a very good teacher. I learned more things being on the fire department then I ever did in class. Then again, maybe she had such a hatred towards me because me and one other girl was deaf and we were told we will never succeed in this field. So far I have proved her wrong.

We provided door and car window decals with our Vial of Life kits... So, would-be-rescuers would know to look in the fridge, or the glove box, for said pill-bottle-looking-device. WalMart and the local news station did something similar.

I could scan one, along with our old training night forms for patient assessment. But with only a few, well seasoned souls left, we don't do training nights anymore.

I was thinking of doing something similar to something like that (car windows, door decorations). I was also thinking of something along the lines as a key chain for someone to put on their purse if they have information inside.

So your out on a call and you have no information what-so-ever about the patient. How in the world is File of Life gonna be helpful?

The same could be said of this little project you're working on. If they don't have the card on them then you're still in the same spot as you would be otherwise.

I'm sorry for asking such a 'stupid' question, but I thought you guys could help out on some of the questions I haven't thought of yet or if there were more important ones.

Like what kind of questions? We've offered you some opportunity to redeem yourself by way of you presenting us with what you think would be important to ask/know and we'll help fill in some of the details. You haven't done that. This is your project. We're not going to do the work for you.

As has been said, as an EMT you should have a pretty good idea of what information would be important and what information isn't so important (or at least immediately pressing). That you don't seem to know is both concerning and somewhat alarming.

And DFIB, my teacher in college wasn't at all a very good teacher. I learned more things being on the fire department then I ever did in class. Then again, maybe she had such a hatred towards me because me and one other girl was deaf and we were told we will never succeed in this field. So far I have proved her wrong.

I think it is really cool that you are up for a challenge like EMS. It is a challenge for me and I can still hear pretty good out of one ear. Are you totally deaf or severely hearing impaired? I am in no way making slight of your condition but am truly interested at how you manage the job. I am sure it takes a lot of moxy to even try. If you have the time let us know what strategies you use and how they work out for you.

Your question was not stupid but this is a tough forum with a lot of really smart people. I get my butt handed to me frequently .We kind of fall into the habit of questioning people a little to get to know them and kind of get a feel for their intentions. I like that you came out in defense of your intentions and ideas. I like that you want to help your community. If you had included the latter information information early on I bet the answers would have been different.

If you are going to make a card I would only include pertinent Hx. Family HX of hereditary diseases, Sx, and current infirmities and meds. You might want leave some spaces so they can be updated or set it up to be renovated when updates are needed..

If you are going to do it as a community project that isn't for profit I would suggest talking to some local businesses and community clubs such as The Rotary or Lions Clubs to see if they would sponsor the cost. I bet someone will like your idea and get behind your project since you seem to have a good altruistic spirit.

Stay around and participate in the threads. I think I will enjoy seeing you around.

Best of luck to you. Let us know if you get your project off the ground.

We had a fatal motorcycle accident Friday night....not sure what happened to make this guy wreck his bike but he came off of the bike and went head first into a telephone pole and no witnesses to the crash. He was dead right there. He was a John Doe until yesterday as he had no ID on him. Sometimes you just dont get the info that you need in these cases.

I wish you luck with this...its a solid idea that can help but the trick is getting people to use them.

You are thinking so last century with the idea of a "card". I would suggest that you create a word document of all of these questions, and then load it to a thumb drive. It would be nice if the thumb-drive (or memory card) could have a red cross or other medical emblem on it, and would be stored in the person's pocket, purse, wallet, or on a chain around the rear view mirror in the car. You would just plug it into your laptop, or ER computer, and have everything you need.

• Like 1

Again I see a problem with this. Not everyone has a smart phone....or wants one. And what happens, if it is an accident, and the thumb drive is damaged or the service doesn't have a computer to plug it into on their ambulance or the er won't allow them to plug it in there. Again, if it's an older person, they wouldn't necessarily have access to a computer to do this type of thing on. If their family does it for them, there is still no guarantee that they will have it on them.

I'm not trying to be a doubter, I'm just throwing out some possible reasons that, even with the best of efforts, you still won't have access to needed info.

http://www.myhealtha...cts/thumbDrives

True NP, but I believe most people will have Iphones in the next 10 years, just like most people have a camera phone now, or now have a cellphone instead of a pager.  As far as computer access, the elderly usually have kids or grandkids who can help.  And if you do not own a computer there is always the library.

But to answer the question presented:

Some useful info would be:

Doctor's name and number  (there may be 12 Dr. Smiths in town)

Preferred Hospital

List of Meds with dosages

Medical History

Allergies

DNR statement or location of living will

Organ Donor ?

Who to contact in an emergency

Missfirefighteremt if you were a firefighter/emt you would know this, and know that your idea has already been done in many forms, Vial-of-life, Medalert bracelets, ICE.  Next time, just be honest, the guys and gals in here know a phoney when they see one.

Edited by romneyfor2012

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.