Selling my EMS stuff

washed_up_medic

1- Depends where your Flying .. not everyone works on your continent Mike.

2- And yes Mike #2 point does tell you a bit, best advice don't ask about that organization ... seriously not a fan myself.

Sure would like some of the other very kool kit that "washed_up" owns personally , but NOT for sale on any website's .. bhwaa haa ha :whistle:

nuff said.

Fair enough, Squint. But that is still information that would've been beneficial to everyone if our colleague had included it in his initial post.

I still wish him the best on his road to coming to some sort of terms with his experiences.

I still wish him the best on his road to coming to some sort of terms with his experiences.

Agreed Mike, myself as well.

Siffaliss- No, I never wore the vest at work, never had need to wear it on flight, when I said I used every item in my practice, I was referring to the items that AKflightmedic seemed to claim no medic would own, which is everything else, I guess, but thanks for nitpicking.

Observant, not nitpicky. Squint is a friend of mine so if he says you're true, I believe that.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation; I hope through your efforts you're able to find your way again.

• 5 weeks later...

The only thing remaining is the vest, which is posted on eBay. Price has been reduced in the hopes for a quick sale.

* Navy Blue Medic protection vest, the "Griffon" by Pacific Safety, threat level IIIa. Has two front opening EMS pockets, hand warmer pockets, lined collar, adjustable sides, fits XL and 2XL. Paid $1200 for it in 2007, never wore it on duty, so it is in near new condition (I took a flight position just before it was delivered). Have pics. $400 (reduced).

Can be seen on eBay- http://www.ebay.ca/itm/250973640323?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649#ht_500wt_1322

Hey Bro .. got the scope +++ just now ... and all the gack .. WOW and Nice Patch too ... lol.

Sure wish I had that ETCO2 sampler on a call back in Sept .. sure would have made my life easier.

cheers

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I apologize for the ignorance of some. My partner and I were Paramedics for many years. I understand the rigors that we as Medics and EMT's and Flight medics face daily. My Partner was a Flight medic and Loved what he did. When he was killed, I had to sell all off his gear because I could not handle having the remainders around. So I say that to say. If a Flight Medic, has gear that they came here to sell, We should be supportive as professionals and not accusatory. My Partner had things that he collected to make his life easier for his job. There were a few items after his death that He had never gotten to use. Brand new and still in the original wrappings. If someone had suggested to me that I had acquired those things nefariously I would have been very distraught.

Moral of my story is: Don't be so quick to judge. And good Luck to the individual selling the stuff. I hope you can get some sort of relief.

A Concerned Medic

I apologize for the ignorance of some. My partner and I were Paramedics for many years. I understand the rigors that we as Medics and EMT's and Flight medics face daily. My Partner was a Flight medic and Loved what he did. When he was killed, I had to sell all off his gear because I could not handle having the remainders around. So I say that to say. If a Flight Medic, has gear that they came here to sell, We should be supportive as professionals and not accusatory. My Partner had things that he collected to make his life easier for his job. There were a few items after his death that He had never gotten to use. Brand new and still in the original wrappings. If someone had suggested to me that I had acquired those things nefariously I would have been very distraught.

Moral of my story is: Don't be so quick to judge. And good Luck to the individual selling the stuff. I hope you can get some sort of relief.

A Concerned Medic

Did you read any of the rationale and information prior to posting in an old thread???

• Like 1

As a matter of housekeeping, everything has been sold, mostly on eBay.

There are a lot of points on both sides about selling the gear, who buys what to make their missions happen, and on and on. Bottom line for me is the folks on here that cautioned others I feel had others best interests in mind, and that is not a bad thing. Of course, being in the position where you have to sell gear for whatever reason is not a great feeling either. Crappy situation, nuff said.

One thing I have learned in this process is: Not a lot of people truly understand PTSD, especially other Medics, which is surprising. There is a reason for this- PTSD carries a HUGE stigma, both personally and with co-workers, and those who identify with it tend to be cut off from their main group they worked with before. This takes away the ability of the "non-affected" Medics to learn how it affects their profession. I put quotes around the "non-affected" group, in truth we are all affected in some manner by our job, and PTSD rates for Medics are around 33%. That means that 1 in 3 have strong enough symptoms to be diagnosed with PTSD, the other 66% display some PTSD symptoms.

Years ago, in many jurisdictions (Canada included), the high rate of certain cancers and heart attacks among fire fighters were shown to be job related, so a special fund through workers compensation was set up, and when these folks experienced a certain cancer or a heart attack, it was AUTOMATICALLY assumed to be work related, and they were given access to compensation with minimal difficulty. It SHOULD be this way, it NEEDS to be this way... If you develop an occupational injury, the last thing you need is to be cut loose and left to fend for yourself. In Canada, Medics with PTSD often have difficulty with Workers Compensation, the burden of proof rests with the injured medic, who is often in a poor position to put up a fight. GPs don't often understand PTSD, access to Psychiatrists (at least in Canada) is difficult, the public mental health system is NOT geared up to deal with occupational PTSD, it's a bad situation. The solution is to have PTSD recognized by workers compensation as the occupational disease that it is, and build awareness in the GPs to recognize it, then refer those that need help on to the proper resources.

• Like 2