A long ride on the short bus

DwayneEMTP

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/A-Long-Ride-On-The-Short-Bus/129824340386702

Hi all,

This is my wife Barbara's blog concerning her/our lives with our autistic son Dylan.

She is my hero, and so much stronger than I am. I can't really talk about those issues other than in the political arena. Involve my boy and I turn into a sniveling impotent baby.

But it is her life's blood. She thrives, and I think processes with it. And she's also become pretty friggin' educated about it.

Anyway, if you have a spare minute maybe you could stop by her page and say hi? Due to my work she spends much of her time alone with my son, a task that she relishes, but is also much more challening that she's willing to admit.

She would feel really good to know that her site isn't invisible too.

Have a great day all...

Dwayne

Well, sir. I do believe I have just learned a bit more about you that increased my level of respect for you.

Edited by tcripp

Thanks Ladies....

Ter, you couldn't be more right!

Toni, if there is something there that increased your respect you should take another look at it as you've misread something? :-)

Dylan has the most amazing spirit. I can truly feel the joy pour into me when I'm with him. But I'm gone so much that I really don't deserve a whole lot of kudos. Better men then me find ways to stay home and support their families...Hopefully one day I will too...

Thanks so much for visiting her page. It's really important to her, and I think it's really good too!

Dwayne

I gotta tell ya, Jayse amazes me everyday. Now that he is out of the 8-1-1 program ( a year early :)) and back in regular main stream school I see so much of him that I seem to have missed before. Or maybe I did see it but didn't believe it was there. The line of normal 10 yr old and autistic 10 yr old has blurred significantly for me. I have to really watch him and HEAR what he is trying to tell me, in order to differentiate between the 2 now.

NY State has this No Child Left Behind law. Wellllllll let me tell ya, I am having issues with the changes they have made to it. I recieved a letter from the school telling me that Jayse scored low enough on his Dibles (English and Reading Comprehension) and Math proficiency tests that he will need additional help. Well DUH!!!! I guess that might be why he has a speech therapist and an occupational therapist. Anyhoo, NYS has upped the ante and now there is no special dispensation for children with special needs. Before their scores were on a curve, now they count as a full score. SO the 3 school districts in this area have been put on the list of "Those that need improvement". Jayse has always had reading comprehension problems. He reads at a 5th grade level but cant paraphrase what he just read. He has problems with the "w" questions and putting what he feels into words. I have a parent teacher conference on Thursday...I know a couple of teachers that are going to be very upset by the time I am done. :mad::argue::devil:

Everyday is such a new challenge for us....maybe someday it wont be.