International Emergency

Bieber

You respond to the airport at around 9 o'clock in the morning for a report of a sick patient on board a plane returning to the eastern American coast coming from Greece. En route to the call dispatch tells you that the patient is a 9 year old male complaining of abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhea that began shortly after the plane departed and has progressively gotten worse and worse. The airline crew has given the patient treatment within their capabilities (I know they have quite a bit, but I'm not sure on the specifics, someone help me out?) however the patient's condition has progressively worsened. The patient's younger brother, a 6 year old male, also came down with similar symptoms during the flight and coded en route and was triaged black after attempts to resuscitate him were made. No one else on the plane is sick or injured at this time.

Go.

I would let him know that Papandreou has decided not to go through with the vote and has accepted the package. Reassure him that everything will be fine as long as he is willing to work past the age of 50.

If that doesn't work I would try to get some more information. Is there any blood in the stool or vomit? Are any other family members feeling sick? What has everyone eaten in the last few days? Any fever? What do we find on exam?

All commercial airliners have an emergency medical kit which is sort of what you blokes would think of as an "ALS" bag with an AED; it's got a small selection of drugs (adrenaline, amiodarone, atropine, paracetamol, usually an antibiotic eg ceftriaxone or benzylpenicillin etc), an IV kit and some have intubation equipment as well but many now just have an LMA or other LMA-like adjunct.

The scenario you describe would be grounds for the plane to divert; either to somewhere in Europe, Iceland or Halifax or St Johns in Newfoundland depending on where it was but I know that's no fun :D

Anyway this bloke needs the works, what do we find?

Sounds about right; when I was with United they had a bunch of other drugs e.g. atropine, ceftriaxone, amiodarone

It could only be released to a Physician after verification of credential

You want to know the scary part ... "basic instructions for use of drugs" dude WTF?

Please don't tell me this plane diverted to little ole Wichita international and national airport????

But seriously, one dead family member on the plane and then another one probably heading that way, I'll be sure to recommend diversion especially since that plane has more than likely run out of medical supplies. But you said you got called to the airport.

carry on.

If thats what happens when you eat airline food then count me out. Always knew their was a good reason not to fly.

Where are they coming from? did they have exposure to something prior to boarding the aircraft?

What was the trigger event?

What type of medical hx do the brothers share?

1st thing would be to get an ALS crew standing by on the tarmac.

Put out a call to line up enough trucks for a possible mass casualty event.

Notify the airport security of possible need for a quarantine of all pax & crew until they can be cleared.

Notify FAA & homeland security & customs agency contacts responsible for your jurisdiction.

Notify the medical examiner for the deceased individual

Have the hazmat team respond to clear the aircraft for possible toxins coming in from foreign country.

Notify local level 1 hospital of events so they can set up and notify of possible incoming mass triage .

Thats a good start until the aircraft gets wheels down on the tarmac.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.