Since my last post last year

S_Stringer

Just wanted to let you all know that since my last post in 2010, I voluntarily surrendered my EMT-B cert in NJ due to my felony charge of theft incurred during my addiction to opiates. I'm probably damning myself by posting this, but since May of 2010 I had detoxed from all opiates, prescription and otherwise, gone through rehab and have remained substance free. My probation ends in November of 2012 and I hope to recertify as EMT-B.....though not necessarily working on a paid ambulance would still like to work in some capacity in search and rescue.

Although my addiction to opiates began through a viable medical need, my body developed a greater need for the substance to quell the pain over the period of 15 plus years, and the addiction, when recognized, was far too great for me to handle on my own, took over my life, destroyed it....or, at least I let it. I finally had enough and decided to do something about it, but it took a stupid choice and some jail time and relapse to make me really see what I had to. It also took some hard punches from some of you guys to wake me up too.

Thanks.

Susan

I've had numerous friends in EMS who have gone down the road you did with painkillers. NOt the felony road but the addiction road.

Much thought and good vibes to you.

Michael

Hey Suze, Welcome back!

Damning yourself why? This would seem to be the perfect place to say, "I fucked up, am on the road to recovery, and wouldn't mind reconnecting with some of my old, also fucked up, but more sober friends." Right?

I'm glad to see you, and I hope that you'll stay and participate. 'Specially if you're unemployed now...get focused Babe....

Breath in, breath out, put one foot in front of the other and clean your house....plus, keep your brain busy and post on the City...we could use you here.

Dwayne

I honestly dont know if I would have the guts to do what you describe in your post. Your determination gives me hope for the human race, Stay strong. Be proud. Move forward.

I wish you the very best.

Susan- Kudos to you for your honesty and for starting getting yourself back together. Anyone who's been in the business for any length of time knows someone who has gone through this. I know doctors, nurses, medics, EMT's who have all struggled with various addictions. One nurse I worked with for 15 years got caught up in this and was stealing narcotics. She got clean too after finally admitting her problem before she was actually officially caught. The bosses suspected the narcotics logs were being altered, the drug count was not adding up, and they were closing in on her. She went through rehab, and the hospital hired her back with the proviso she passes periodic drug tests. She remained clean for 15 more years or so and then took a desk job after 25 years in an ER.

Point is, it may be difficult- but not necessarily impossible- to get back into the business- at least in the capacity you may want, but as a former manager responsible for hiring and firing, being honest will be an asset. Yes, some folks won't touch you because of your past, but someone will, as long as they can monitor you in some way. You may need to relocate to another area or state- depending on local laws, but it can happen. You have another chance, and not many folks can say that.

I absolutely take my hat off to you for the strength and courage you clearly have.

Susan: Take this opportunity to help us understand what it feels like to become addicted? As a Paramedic with degenerating Arthritis, Narcs are in my future I am sure. How will I know when it has become a problem?

What does it feel like to "come off" them?

• Like 1

Very impressed with your courage and honesty, Susan. I hope you are fortunate enough to find new employers in the field who will be too! Good luck, and kudos :)

• Like 1

Susan,

First off, welcome back to the City!

I'm impressed that you would share your story with us like that, and I'm even more impressed that you've taken the initiative to stand your ground and actually DO something about your problem! We've all seen many that fall into the whole drug use/abuse cycle, and never do anything to break it. Your courage and strength are to be an inspiration to those that are where you were.

The fact that you voluntarily surrendered your license before something 'bad' happened was an intelligent move on your part, and I can only hope that in doing so, it will be viewed in your favor if you attempt relicensure in the future.

I can only imagine the difficult road you're facing, and can only offer the words of encouragement to stay strong in your quest.

Best wishes

LS