Strange diseases/dissorders encountered in the EMS field

HM3 Grant

I had an interesting one many years ago, but not startling in appearance.  Got sent to a "sick cant get out of bed call" at 3am.  Found young guy in his 20s, appears normally healthy, says he was fine earlier, tried to get out of bed to pee, couldnt move his legs (too weak).  Vital signs seem normal, no trauma history, or any history for that matter.  Sit him up to do orthostatics, his legs fall out of the bed just like a paralyzed persons would, then he says he is very weak from nipple line down (lay him back down carefully in case spinal issue).  Go back out get backboard, collar, immobilize him, moved him back to truck, put him on monitor (no 12 lead back then), in leads one and two he is in textbook V-Tach, lead 3 looks more like wide SVT, B/P is like 120/80, every vital sign normal, asked every question I could think of, had no clue what it was.  Started IV, transported.  ER Doc was just as puzzled, had to leave quickly to catch another call, came back to the ER later, found out it was just simple hypokalemia.  He had recently started a new diet and exercise program and depleted his potassium.  

Another good one is phenothiazine reactions as they can present with something as simple as a locked neck, weird tongue movements, or a total psychotic fit where they become violent and appear crazed.  I had one that actually produced seizures about an hour after being discharged from the ER.  

Or it can be something simple like Malaria -- I had only one of those in my career and had no clue what to do with them.  I had always heard the word malaria and new it involved mosquitoes, but did not know what it did to the body.

Edited by crotchitymedic1986

My father had a tick borne illness. Can't remember the right disease/illness but that's a good one.

What about pernicious anemia versus the other anemia's?

Ear Infections,

I have encountered 2 pts that have presented as a stroke or MI and in the end of both they had ear infections. One was even medvaced for a CAT scan. Before she left our hospital I asked if anyone had looked in her ears, she said no and even the nurse in the room said no. After the CAT scan the dr said he couldn't find the problem so she said "No one has looked in my ears" He did and surprise massive ear infection.......................

One paper I had to do was the question "why does GHB present as a Narcotic?" It was pretty interesting talking to the doc's they all had their own idea's, listened to them all and got a A.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.