Ipad / Tablet

White Cloud

Hey Guys,

Its been a long while since i been on EMT City, a LOT has changed, been over a year, maybe even 2 since i was here last.

But Alas, I am back, and i have a topic I would like all your inputs on.

I am looking at getting a Tablet, I am really looking at the Ipad as everyone seems to think highly of it.

I wouldnt mind also getting one to take on Car, more for the Navigation (on a 10 inch screen) I quite like the Navigation on my Smart Phone (windows 7 phone) its way more responsive then a Garmin GPS which lags like an old pentium 133 Desktop.

I dont know if they have any sort of Rural Addressing or Legal Land Addressing Apps for the Ipad, does anyone know ? Also our Alberta Health Services Protocols will be nice to have in electronic form, rather then sifting through a small 2 inch thick pocket book.

So what im wondering is, What Tablets do you guys use and why ? why did you choose that particular one over the others? Im trying to get some detailed information to help with my decision.

Im not too impressed that the Ipad does not have a USB port, im not sure how i can transfer my music or videos or pictures onto an Ipad should I want to. But the 3G access will be super handy especially if im going to take it out on car.

Also do you guys have any sort of ECG Apps you use for refreshers / reading, or even any Heart Anatomy aps ?

thx for taking the time to answer all these questions...Im wanting to buy a tablent around Mid Month so any info would be helpful for sure.

Hey Guys,

Its been a long while since i been on EMT City, a LOT has changed, been over a year, maybe even 2 since i was here last.

But Alas, I am back, and i have a topic I would like all your inputs on.

I am looking at getting a Tablet, I am really looking at the Ipad as everyone seems to think highly of it.

I wouldnt mind also getting one to take on Car, more for the Navigation (on a 10 inch screen) I quite like the Navigation on my Smart Phone (windows 7 phone) its way more responsive then a Garmin GPS which lags like an old pentium 133 Desktop.

taking the IPAD in the car is a good option. You can get car chargers but seriously the battery on the ipad is insanely long. I can go on a 7 hour drive and my son will go through two movies and playing games with still 25% of battery left or more. I do not know of the batt life of the android tablets but if they are anything like the phones, it sucks.

I dont know if they have any sort of Rural Addressing or Legal Land Addressing Apps for the Ipad, does anyone know ? Also our Alberta Health Services Protocols will be nice to have in electronic form, rather then sifting through a small 2 inch thick pocket book.

If you get the protocols in electronic form you can easily move them to your IPAD. but do you seriously want to be handling a $500 tablet when taking care of a patient? I sure don't unless of course my ems system buys it. What happens if the one you purchase is damaged while on a call, is your service going to pay to replace it. More than likely not.

So what im wondering is, What Tablets do you guys use and why ? why did you choose that particular one over the others? Im trying to get some detailed information to help with my decision.

I like my IPAD. Easy to learn, easy to navigate. Well designed and made.

Im not too impressed that the Ipad does not have a USB port, im not sure how i can transfer my music or videos or pictures onto an Ipad should I want to. But the 3G access will be super handy especially if im going to take it out on car.

Transferring your files from computer to IPAD is idiot proof almost. Just load Itunes software, then connect your ipad and tell it to sync. DONE!!!!

Also do you guys have any sort of ECG Apps you use for refreshers / reading, or even any Heart Anatomy aps ?

I posted some really good links to medical software/apps a while back. do a search for Apps or something like that. If I can find the time, I'll go back and find it for you but you need to search first.

thx for taking the time to answer all these questions...Im wanting to buy a tablent around Mid Month so any info would be helpful for sure.

the biggest drawback of the IPAD versus the Android tablets is flash. Without flash you really cant' go to Youtube, or watch any videos other than those you find for the IPAD. I don't know the particulars other than Flash and how the movies work but if the video requires flash player to work, you are out of luck on the IPAD and probably always will. Apple hates flash I think.

If you want a usb, the usb cable provided connects directly to your computer and the other end goes int he Apple slot. Sort of backwards but if you are wanting to plug a usb stick in your IPAD, that also will never happen.

I have used the xoom, the samsung galaxy tab, the Archos 5" internet tablet(piece of shit) and many others in my quest to find the best tablet for my ER docs and nurses to use when documenting on their EMR system, and by far the best so far is the IPAD but it's not a panacea.

I hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

I have to agree that the iPad is a great device. I got one when they first came out and I still use it daily, well when my wife lets me have it. We used to have two windows laptops and a windows desktop and since getting the iPad we replaced them all with a MacBook Pro and have never looked back.

The battery life is insane, we charge it about every three or four days and we actually use it a lot. We always leave it on so it boots faster and we are just seconds away from reading/sending emails, looking at the news and browsing the web. I wouldn't say we surf for hours a day but we do use it daily.

If we can't do a certain task on the iPad then we use our MacBook Pro. I used to think Macs were not that great until I started using the iPad and seeing how easy it was to use, their computers are just as easy and work a lot faster. All I need now is an iPhone, however my cellular provider doesn't have it available and probably will never have it.

If you have an Electronics Store close I would just go in there and start looking at them and seeing what you like and don't like. Personally I like Best Buy the best since you can test out both Macs and PCs. I warn you that you might convert during a single trip there.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

I personally like my otterboxed, Samsung galaxy tab 7in. It fits in my left bdu pocket and I have a silicone rollup Bluetooth keyboard. That way I can type up my student run sheets with the tablet on the dashboard.

Fireman1037

I just bought and upgraded the Viewsonic Veiwpad 10. It is a dual boot tablet with android and windows 7 op systems. I do really like it and the touch screen is very good. they have a new one out now already that has windows 7 pro w/3g also.

While mine does not have 3g yet i did upgrade from a 16gb SSHD to a 64gb SSHD will be upgrading to 2gb ram as well soon. while i was at it i also upgraded to android 3.2 (comes with 1.6 or 2.2) so far has been great with the upgrades. i have added a 3g card in it but have not activated it yet.

If this op system combination was available on the viewpad 7 ( 7" android only like samsung) i would have it instead. and the roll up keyboard is an awesome addition

Having worked now with both an android versus a IPad, I think that the IPad in my opinion wins but the only drawback like I said in a previous post is that the ipad doesn't do flash nor does it allow a sd/mini sd card slot.

I give the ipad an A- and the android tablet a B+++

If you can live without youtube and flash then you should get the ipad.