Freakin' New Guy

MisplacedSooner

I just found this site and thought I'd go ahead and sign up. I'm a new EMT-Basic student and current law enforcement officer. From talking with classmates I am not the usual EMT student. I'm older than anyone in the class, I have an advanced degree, and don't know if EMS is something I'd ever do for a living.

I signed up for the class because it is something I always wanted to do. I really don't know why, but getting the EMT certification is something I've wanted to do since I learned what it was. In the back of my mind then, and now, is the possibility of going on to Paramedic at some point. For the most part it is because I want the skill set for myself. Outside of that I think I may end up applying the skills with a volunteer agency at some point in the future or I may surprise everyone and trade uniforms and go to work in emergency medicine.

I blame my desire on two root causes. First were reruns of Emergency! when I was young. Second, my wife is going to be a doc in a few short months. She'll be pretty well equipped to help me if something should happen and I figure I owe it to her to be as prepared as possible to help her if something should happen to happen to her at some point.

Great first post.

When I took Basic it was for general knowledge as well, and now look at the shit I've gotten myself into. With an advanced degree and some life experience you may be bored in EMT class, but man, it sure is cool to think of someone like you entering EMS.

Many of us entered later in life and I think that the vast majority of us have found that bringing life experience to the job instead of getting it enroute is a good thing.

Welcome man..I hope you stay and participate..

Dwayne

I got into EMS simply because it was required for the fire department I applied to. In fact, it was the only thing holding me back in the selection process.

I went into my first class, and during the 'meet and greet phase', we had to identify ourselves and tell why we were interested in EMS. My response was "I'm only here because I HAVE to be!".

As time and the class progressed, I realized that not only did I 'have what it takes', but when my classmates were getting grossed out over pictures of trauma, I realized that there was more to it than I would pick up in that class.

I'm currently 46 years old, and working on my Associates degree in Paramedicine. I've been mistaken for faculty by students outside of my class. Don't let the "older than all of my classmates" thing get to you!

At the rate I'm going with all of the 'setbacks' I've faced, by the time I graduate, I'll be able to draw Social Security (if it still exists)!

... by the time I graduate, I'll be able to draw Social Security (if it still exists)!

Ahhh...I forgot, they raised the age limit...they took it away from you again? Bastards...Another two years and you'll qualify again brother...stiff upper lip!

Dwayne

I've been mistaken for faculty by students outside of my class.

Hate to tell you your ARE EMT City faculty :punk:

Never too late to become a student, even with a previous degree - I am living (barely) proof of that! I dont know what your long-term plans are, or how good the prospects of making a living in EMS are in your area, but this is my retirement gig, after over 30 years in the education field.

Hopefully you are one of those rare people who get a sample of this and continue as far as you can simply because you enjoy it. No, I wouldn;t do this for free, but it beats the hell out of shuffleboard and knitting as a retiree!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I may be new to all of this, but it appears from the outside looking in that you all are more open and accepting of new people than we tend to be in the law enforcement field. (I am sure that isn't the case with everyone or at every place though!)

I am excited to finally get to fulfill a life long dream. I just know I have to perform well or I'll have to get a divorce. If I were to struggle at some point in the class I don't think I could look at my wife and expect her to feel in the least bit sympathetic towards me. For some reason I doubt I could convince her that an EMT Basic course is as difficult as med school.

No, I wouldn't do this for free, but it beats the hell out of shuffleboard and knitting as a retiree!

Hey Hey .. hold on there sonny ... knitting is very therapeutic and make excellent Christmas presents.

ps What size of sock do your wear and do you like rainbows ?

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.