wannabe emt seeks advice

... I wont stop until I'm an EMT.I DON'T CARE WHAT IT TAKES.

Good. Since you asked, please consider some advice from someone who's been there.

First, recognize that EMT is pretty much scraping the bottom of the barrel. There are more EMTs than EMT jobs. That's great you have the goal of being an EMT. But what else do you have? What's after EMT? Trust me, you're going to need a goal beyond that.

Second, go to college. If you're interested in EMS, go to a school that offers an EMS degree. These programs will most likely prepare you for the paramedic level as well. Ideally, you'll pick a program that will prepare you to apply to either PA or medical school. This will set you up for much more success than being an EMT will offer.

You will be offered shortcuts. Don't take them. Peoples lives are much too important for providers to take shortcuts to get somewhere. You've indicated you're not interested in short cuts. Stick with that.

True, that we don't know where you're coming from. But consider what we can see of you. The image you portrayed to us is what earned the responses you received. That happens professionally, too. First impressions cannot be undone. Just something to think about.

Good luck.

As everyone else has already pointed out, your age is what is going to be the problem when applying for jobs. It does depend a lot on where you are. But just to give you an idea, where I'm at, there are a whopping 3 companies that I have found in all of northern California that will hire under the age of 21, and that is only IF you have a spotless driving record. Now, I may have of missed a few in my search for jobs, but when I got out of EMT school, I was unable to apply at most places due to this age restriction. So, I went and did volunteer work with different EMS organizations and the fire department to get some experience, and that is what will eventually help you get a job. Employers are all over the volunteer work. Says something about you as a person if you are willing to put up with all the same crap a paid EMT does, but for free.

It's really hard to find a job at such a young age. And the fact that you will only be 18 when you are done with school, well good luck. Like I said, where I am at we don't hire under at leat 21. Some have even moved to 23 years of age. I don't know where you are living at, so I can't really speak for your state or county. I can only give you information on what I have seen and experienced where I am at. But someone did mention going to emt-i or medic school after your emt, and I would highly recommend it. Yes, it takes time but it will help you to not only further your knowledge, but help you keep up on those skills that you won't be using while just waiting around for a job. That's what I am doing right now, and I am very glad that I am taking the time to do it now while I have the time. Once you finish the advanced schooling, it will also give you more options when applying. You will be able to apply places as an EMT as well as a Paramedic...may make it easier to get into a company, depending on their needs.

I appreciate the insight, but I don't believe you know where I'm coming from. The short amount of time it takes to get certified is not at all what draws me towards this career path. I'm interested in helping people and even saving lives. I wouldn't care if I got paid less tgan minimum wage and it took 5 years to get certified, this is what I want to do with my life and I'm absolutely sure of it.So no matter how you believe my attide about my future is, know that I wont stop until I'm an EMT.I DON'T CARE WHAT IT TAKES.

All right jedi, if you won't stop until you are an EMT then why stop there? Why not take the next steps and get your EMT, then get your medic from a accredited college so you have a college degree along with it?

You say you won't stop yet you only want to get your EMT? Then put your money where your mouth is and get the medic. Then you at the age of 20 or 21 can work in the back and not have to worry about insurance requirements that put 18 year olds at a distinct disadvantage in getting a driving job.

Don't just do this half assed, do it to the point of YOU DON"T CARE WHAT IT TAKES!!!!!!

You said it, we didn't.

Emt is just the beginning. Why would I stop there

.emt-p is my goal, but emt l-b has to be first. Thanks for all the support guys I thought this was the place to seek motivational advice from other emts but I guess this isn't the place.

Actually, EMT-B doesn't have to be the first step. Find yourself a college program, a four year bachelor's degree awarding college EMS degree, and go straight for paramedic. This is controversial and will probably spark yet *another* debate on which is the better route of professional development. But it is an option for you. Given the right person, this can be done very successfully.

Just what kind of motivational advice were you looking for? You presented yourself to us with a story and attitude that raises an awful lot of questions about you as an individual. Is there more to the story than you presented? I'm sure there is. Did you bother to tell us? No. So we have to go off what we can gather based in the limited info you give us.

You've gotten some good advice from just about everyone who's taken the time to respond to you. Just because you don't like the advice given here doesn't mean that any of it is wrong. If you're looking for hand holding then you're right. This isn't the place for you. If you're looking for a place where people will tell you how it is and what you need to do to succeed, then I strongly suggest you check the attitude and stick around.

Good luck.

.emt-p is my goal, but emt l-b has to be first. Thanks for all the support guys I thought this was the place to seek motivational advice from other emts but I guess this isn't the place.

What so you are pissed off that we didn't tell you how WONDERFUL a person you were to want to become an emt?

It doesn't work that way.

You asked advice on how to be an emt or whatever you asked and we told you that it would be no problem except for the driving issues.

So here I go

Thank you for deciding to save lives as an emt. I cannot wait till you become an EMT. We need to prepare for your awesomeness. Thank you for wanting to take the easy way out and the short cuts in order to be the best darn emt you can be. Why, because you are such a likeable fellow and a wonderful person. You will go far in this field and I hope that you will be the one to come save me when I have my big massive MI.

Well now that I'm about to vomit in my soda bottle, here is some better advice.

Go get your degree, get your emt and then move to medic and then work in the field. You will be about 23 when you graduate from all that if you choose the 4 year degree unless you quit school like you did in high school, oh yeah I forget, there were extensive circumstances requiring you to quit high school.

By the time you have your medic you will also have a college degree, some more years of experience in life and I'll bet that you will become a DAMN good medic, but only if you decide to follow through and finish what you started.

You yourself said "I'll stop at nothing" or something like that so put your money where your mouth is and do what you say you are going to do, and let's see what kind of emt you make.

How was that for motivational speech?

If you don't like the advice other than the sarcasm, then you don't deserve the help you are getting on this site.

You know what man, I do think it's an admirable goal. But this is a career forum and one thing you must learn very quickly if you are to pursue your dream is that EMS doesn't coddle crybabies.

You said something to the effect of "I dropped out of high school, but, whatever" or at least that is how it sounded to my ears.

EMS is populated by wannbe heros. You seem to have expected hand holding, but what you got, at least until the end, was good advice and a plee for introspection. You chose to throw a tantrum and whine..that's up to you. But it will not get you where you want to go...trust me on that.

If you want to be taken seriously then stay here and participate. Respond to those that have responded to you whether you liked their answers or attitudes. If you're not strong enough to hang in an internet forum where you get to be anonymous, then you are nowhere near ready to follow your dreams.

Good luck man...I hope you'll stay.

Dwayne

Motiviational advice?

This is a career that should have a sound theoretical base in order to perform the role of paramedic.

Theoretical bases are gained thorugh education.

Go back to high school and finish it

Enroll in a bachelors program and finish it

Plan to do it properly from the start and finish it.

notice a theme here?

soontob, welcome to the city. You are going to learn that to survive in EMS you need to have a thick skin (I'm not saying that you don't). Plenty of buffs and weekend warriors try to get into it and it is a thorn in the side to those trying to make it into a profession. Those who have answered your questions may seem like they are being asses, but if you look back, 5 years from now you will see the value of what they are saying. Think about how you would feel if people were trying to turn your profession/career into a hobby. You'd probably be a little protective and critical of those trying to get into in. It's great that you want to make a career out of EMS and want to become a paramedic, and I hope you make it. You have been given lots of good advice here, albeit with some skepticism. Prove your doubters wrong and stick around. Contribute to the forums and you will see that this is actually a pretty good place with lots of worthwhile and interesting discussions.

As for your original question, it is hard to give you details without a little more info. You will NEVER find a job before you are 18. As for 18 year olds, it is really depended on the service. Are there vollies where you live? If so, join and get some experience. Ask questions of the ALS providers without being annoying (again, I'm not saying you are). I was 18 and in my EMT class when I got a job as a dispatcher for a private, non-911 service and was eventually able to work my way out onto the road. Where the is a will, there is a way.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how the system works in your area, but I'm pretty sure we are all fairly close on a set of standards. Yes, like all the other previous posts have said, your age will hurt you on getting hired for insurance purposes, especially working for a private agency. And from my experience on even enrolling into a Paramedic program, especially in my state, want you to have some sort of experience level, ie pt contacts, number of calls and some want at least a year in an active EMS system.

In regards to your GED, who do you know with a GED, been denied entry into college? If its a goal to become a Paramedic, find out what the schools require, but in the meantime, gaining your EMT is still worth your 6 or 8 weeks. Plus you will have somesort of field exposure when doing your ride time. Another option is looking into your local fire departments on becoming a volunteer. Some don't require you to be atleast 21 and you will be able to maintain your training and gain your field experience. Applying for a volunteer FD with your EMT will make you a valuable asset especially if they are needing EMT's. Just my 2cents. Good luck and don't stress too much on your decisions.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.