Fire / ems mergers that dont work

hawaiianmedic

I haven't checked in for awhile and just saw this topic.

In 1978, I joined Los Angeles City Fire Department to become a Paramedic. At that time, it had been only a few years that the City Ambulance Service had been transferred from LAPD administration to LAFD control.

It definitely was not a happy "marriage". I am highly biased on this subject because of things that happened on the job so I don't think I should be a good source. Hopefully you can find some published sources that can tell the story.

During the 1990s (I can't remember the year) events occured that eliminated the seperate job classes of "Paramedic" and the older "Ambulance Driver" and "Ambulance Attendant". All personnel became "Firefighters" by decree. I was one of the old dogs who didn't take the Fire Suppression course that was offered to the former Paramdics and EMTs. It is an emotional subject for me. I retired in 2003 and am glad I did. Some of the medics still on the job say quality has gone down. I don't know. While still working, I had occasion to work with FF that had become PMs because they wanted to and they did a great job. I also knew medics that I wouldn't let get near me if I was hurt/sick.

Now that anyone that wants to be a Paramedic on LAFD has to be qualified as a FF first, some folks are locked out of the job. Mostly it is women and small statured men that can't pass the FF PAT no matter how good a medic they would become/are.

No matter what form the service takes, it really comes down to the quality and professionalism of the people. Good quality people will do a good job even if it is one they didn't seek. Even the most irascable FFs I worked alongside would put out a tremendous effort to help someone that they realized the patient really needed help.

If I don't stop now, I will probably 'write a book' so I hope this brief post helps. Hang in there.

If I don't stop now, I will probably 'write a book' so I hope this brief post helps. Hang in there.

Write the book! I'm attempting to do so, after being in "da biz" for 37 years, between a Volunteer Ambulance Service, 5 non-9-1-1 ambulance service providers, and 2 municipal EMS providers (before and after the FDNY/EMS "Merger").

Just know the civilians are probably going to say things to the effect of "What you describe, as you describe it, could not have happened. You're making that up!" Meanwhile, any Law Enforcement Officer, Fire Fighter, or EMSer with over a year's experience will be knowlingly nodding their heads in agreement with whatever you've said.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.