New in the field

Im just getting into the field. I started my EMT-B class about two weeks ago. Im interested in becoming a Paramedic. I understand the work it would take to become a Paramedic. I was just wondering if somewhere down the road if there is some kind of bridge program to becoming a RN or LPN.

Just wanted all your insight into the possible career paths

Yes, there is. But is a horrible choice for any medic who does not have significant in-hospital experience, and I don't mean as a simple ER tech. There is actually very little crossover education between the two jobs. So, except for already having your support courses out of the way, there is no significant benefit to being a medic before being a nurse. They are usually very separate career paths for a good reason. They really are not very similar at all. Any one who tells you different has not been both a medic and a nurse, and in that order.

Most "bridge" programmes are community college based, not university based. Consequently you start off behind the 8-ball even if you manage to graduate. They get you through a little bit faster, but usually because they cram, not because they cut back much. And it still takes you at least two years to get all your support courses done, if you didn't do so in your paramedic programme. So, if you just get the cheap and quick paramedic certificate instead of the degree, then you don't save any time at all.

Bridges are a desperate concession in a vain attempt to help make money for community colleges, not a genuine effort to educate competent nurses. If you're not concerned with competence, then go for it. But most all of the grads I have worked with had gaping holes in both their knowledge and competence, because years as a medic left them with the mistaken impression that we don't need all that book learnin', so they don't commit to it.

If you think you may want to do both, then it is absolutely certain that going to nursing school BEFORE medic school results in a much better provider than the reverse. Not to mention the difference in job opportunities. Most EMT grads find they cant get an EMS job even if they do become a medic, as your schools are cranking out hundreds more grads than there are jobs in the area. Don't expect to hear that truth in the school catalogue. It's our dirty little secret. Do some serious job market research before you commit. Even if you can get an EMS job, chances are that it's neither stable nor well paying.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. To be honest im really much more interested in being a medic. I find it more interesting and i believe that would make me better at it. I was just wondering about switching to nursing because of the better pay.

Im sorry to hear that their isn't much as for transferable skills. I figured it was all medical and i would get some practice in patient assessments and physical exams.

I read many comments here about the less than optimal job prospects in ems. So i guess my next question would be if you have any advice on extra courses or skills i could learn to increase my marketability and make me a better medic?

Thanks for the info. To be honest im really much more interested in being a medic. I find it more interesting and i believe that would make me better at it. I was just wondering about switching to nursing because of the better pay.

Im sorry to hear that their isn't much as for transferable skills. I figured it was all medical and i would get some practice in patient assessments and physical exams.

I read many comments here about the less than optimal job prospects in ems. So i guess my next question would be if you have any advice on extra courses or skills i could learn to increase my marketability and make me a better medic?

Go with where your desires lie. I'm sure many will jump in here (one way or another), but it's not all about the money. It's about what makes you happy. Another thing to consider when determining next steps is future earnings. Example, I'm also considering a move to nursing. I'm older and figure there will come a time when working 48 hour shifts won't be in my best interest. BUT, the retirement package has me rethinking that move...at least until much later. We are on the rule of 75 and I started working at the age of 45. So, in 13 years from my birthday, I can retire will full benefits...with a pretty nice monthly pension. Yes, I'm rethinking my next steps. :D

Extra courses and skills? Take any and every extra course you can. Lots of places offer free CEs and many services offer online CEs. Take full advantage. Read articles (JEMS, EMS World, etc). Anytime (correction, every time) you come across something you don't fully understand, find other sources and read up on it. Strike up conversations with your peers. Ask them questions about how they do things...and why. Then read up on the latest research and better hone your own skills. Attend conferences. Jump in the forum and provide your insight.

Each little thing you do makes you a better medic.

Go with where your desires lie. I'm sure many will jump in here (one way or another), but it's not all about the money. It's about what makes you happy. Another thing to consider when determining next steps is future earnings. Example, I'm also considering a move to nursing. I'm older and figure there will come a time when working 48 hour shifts won't be in my best interest. BUT, the retirement package has me rethinking that move...at least until much later. We are on the rule of 75 and I started working at the age of 45. So, in 13 years from my birthday, I can retire will full benefits...with a pretty nice monthly pension. Yes, I'm rethinking my next steps. :D

Extra courses and skills? Take any and every extra course you can. Lots of places offer free CEs and many services offer online CEs. Take full advantage. Read articles (JEMS, EMS World, etc). Anytime (correction, every time) you come across something you don't fully understand, find other sources and read up on it. Strike up conversations with your peers. Ask them questions about how they do things...and why. Then read up on the latest research and better hone your own skills. Attend conferences. Jump in the forum and provide your insight.

Each little thing you do makes you a better medic.

[/quote

thanks I checked out EMS WORLD and it seemed to have alot of use full info. I plan to focus on being the best EMT first before trying to move up. So ill just see how it goes before i try to move up. Im also a big believer in CE.

• Like 1

www.excelsior.edu

Excelsior College has an Experienced Allied Health Professional "Bridge Program" to RN... It's "Faster" because Patient Contact Hours (Clinicals) are reduced; there are Patient Contact time for Nursing Skills learning and practice (Manikins first). You will need to complete the Pre-Requisites for the ASN before you can take the Nursing Concept Courses... Their BSN is for RNs with an ASN, RNs without a Degree, and RNs with other Degree(s)... They do have a MSN Program also... However, it is not an easier route. I find it more difficult because there is no Professor to ask questions; there is no curve or extra credit. There is one Final Exam. Your exam result will determine the Grade you get. Excelsior has other College Courses and Majors...

Just concentrated on the EMT-B first... Then work or volly for experience... Your State Certification means you met the Basic Standards of Basic Life Support in regards to EMS Care... Good luck....

They are accredited through the NLNAC: www.nlnac.org, the CHEA: www.chea.org, NYS DOE: www.nysed.com, and the MSCHE: www.msche.org... It is recognized by the US Secretary of Education: www.ed.gov...

www.excelsior.edu/accreditation

The .edu domain is for Accredited Educational US institutions. It is managed under the US Dept of Commerce...

Remember the job market is not full of positions. We had the highest unemployment rate just a few months ago... It's hard for everyone... Education and experience will seperate you from the next applicant...

Somehow I knew you were going to respond with that.

Yes. It is a NLNAC accredited program. However, several state nursing boards don't care. California, for example, will not allow an Excelsior graduate obtain a nursing license. Several other states will not allow initial licensure to Excelsior grads but may allow licensure via reciprocity.

The hang up seems to center around the idea of supervised clinicals as a requirement for graduation. As Excelsior is in effect a correspondence course with no supervised clinicals the state nursing boards bar grads from licensure.

Save your counter arguments. Yes, it is stupid to refuse grads of an accredited program licensure. But until state nursing boards change their minds they can, and will, continue to refuse Excelsior grads from obtaining licenses.

There is plenty of debate out there about this. You seem pretty google savvy. Look it up.