Iphone advice

DwayneEMTP

Hey all...

So I'm on an ultra deep water drilling rig 250 miles out in the Gulf of Mexico and, low and behold, I get no cell service. After a few days of medication to overcome my psychological denting as I adjusted to my blackberry now being a pretty fancy alarm clock I started noticing some people appear to be texting! And another guys seemed to be playing that Scrabblish game some seem to play..

So I was asking a guy, "Hey, are you texting? I don't get a signal at all..." He said, "You're phone won't use the wifi???" And of course I had to admit..."Oh, sure! My phone just...well..yeah, man it's like the wifi king! Duh! I don't know who you think you're talking to...Bitch..." (Not an exact quote) But of course had no idea what he was talking about...

So if I had an Iphone would it in fact use the wireless on the rig so that I could text real people...like the ones that walk around on land and such, and play Words with Terri, and that kind of stuff? Or am I just reading something into what he said cause I was too big of a pussy to admit that I had no idea what he was talking about?

Any other cool stuff it can do that would make it worthwhile to buy one and retire my beloved Blackberry?

And please...I'm not a kid any more so stuff specific to my situation and non Iphone v Blackberry hatish would be awesome!

Have a great day all!

Dwayne

Yes. You could use an iPhone to tap into the wifi network on the rig. With the connection you could text, play games and surf the web. If you got the vonage app you could probably even make phone calls. If you got the iPhone 4 with the video chat capabilities you could video chat with people back home. This is assuming a high speed wifi connection. I can't imagine the rig doesn't have a high speed connection, though.

When you get back on land pick one up just to play with it. I think you'll like it. I held out for as long as I could about getting a smart phone. I didn't like any of the Blackberry models I tried. But the iPHone? I can't imagine I made it as long without it as I did.

If you have any more questions let me know.

Most Android phones have Wi-Fi capabilities as well. I know mine does, I'm not sure what exactly works over the wi-fi vs standard cell service though. Just to give you more options. That being said, I'm probably getting an iPhone when my 2-year contract is up.

Yes. You could use an iPhone to tap into the wifi network on the rig. With the connection you could text, play games and surf the web. If you got the vonage app you could probably even make phone calls. If you got the iPhone 4 with the video chat capabilities you could video chat with people back home. This is assuming a high speed wifi connection. I can't imagine the rig doesn't have a high speed connection, though.

When you get back on land pick one up just to play with it. I think you'll like it. I held out for as long as I could about getting a smart phone. I didn't like any of the Blackberry models I tried. But the iPHone? I can't imagine I made it as long without it as I did.

If you have any more questions let me know.

Thanks Mike. That's exactly what I was wondering. Surprisingly it's not high speed out here, though I'm not sure exactly what defines high speed. My current assignment (I wish I could describe how massive that things is!) We have to use the satellite internet and that seems inherently slower for some reason..it looks like if I'm going to be on this gig for any length of time I'll have to have an Iphone.

Thanks too Chris for the Droid info. Though I've heard the new ones are rockin' the old ones seemed to be hated by everyone! Plus, Iphone seems to pretty much own the market on apps.

Thanks again guys!

Dwayne

Edited by DwayneEMTP

My Droid X rocks. Just sayin'. And Iphone doesn't own the market on apps... there's tons of Droid Apps and you don't have to buy all of them from the Apple source...

And, like I told you earlier, RTFM on your blackberry already! You may have Wifi capability and not even know it.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

The iPhone is awesome...there is an app even to do facetime over the regular cell service and no need for WiFi. Just get the Otterbox if you do get it to protect it :)

Skype would probably not be that useful, unless there was a strong enough wifi on the rig... you can video chat for free... I use it with my parents who are sailing around the world and are often in very remote islands.

I've heard of a service called Skype. Would, or should, this service be useful to the OP?

No, I use it on my computer, and can use it on my BB, but it would need the wifi, which my BB can't do...Good idea though! I subscribe to Skype and use it constantly even for phone calls...

Dwayne

...And, like I told you earlier, RTFM on your blackberry already!

See, this kind of advice is no help at all...Next you'll expect me to figure out what all the lights and numbers mean on that heart thingy they make me carry...and how to know what to do when the needle whats-it won't go down if I squish the arm band ball thingy too many times...who has time for such shit?

Not me...I have EMTCity.... :-)

Dwayne

No, I use it on my computer, and can use it on my BB, but it would need the wifi, which my BB can't do...Good idea though! I subscribe to Skype and use it constantly even for phone calls...

Don't kneed WiFi for skype on the iphone :)

Edited to fix formatting

Edited by Kate_826

Don't kneed WiFi for skype on the iphone :)

Edited to fix formatting

I wouldn't need it on the BB either, but I would have to have a cell signal. There comes a point that no matter how fancy the phone is it needs SOME kind of signal to call people... :-)

Dwayne