working in another state

The general answer is NO, with exceptions. Every state has different requirements, so you will need to check with that state's EMS office. Some only require that you fill out a little paperwork and pay a fee, some require you to jump through several hoops. In GA for instance, they pretty much just need you to fill out an application, pay your fees, and show your credentials. But I hear that in North Carolina, you have to get approved to work in each and every county.

Unless the OP is talking about living near the border and being called in as mutual aid to the next State over. In that type of situation it is generally permissible. In most cases operating as one would normally operate on a call is what is expected.

If you're asking about, as HLP addressed, being able to get a job without being certified/licensed in that particular State then the answer is usually no. You can't do it without being recognized by the State in question as an EMS provider.

But I hear that in North Carolina, you have to get approved to work in each and every county.

Most EMS systems in NC have their on Medical Director. Therefore, you have to get your local credential in each County. After all, if one is going to work under his/her license, shouldn't he/she have some say in who the provider is and if they are competent as a provider?

Just mentioning that one can get National Registry in NY State, but they don't recognize it coming in from anywhere else.

I would feel it would be kind of a moot point if, when activated by your home state's Office of Emergency Management, your EMS organization responded to the next state over, as requested by that state's OEM. However, state to state,provence to provence, and in a couple I am aware of, US/Canada border agencies might have their own pre-existing Mutual Aid agreements for going over that geopolitical border.

Also mentioning a story of a duo of jerks on an ambulance in Manhattan, NY, faked ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS, reports of a car crash on the George Washington Bridge, and in doing the turnaround on the Fort Lee, NJ side, stopped to pick up KFC chicken! Might not have gotten them fired if they just picked it up, and came back to NY to eat it, but these clowns sat in the parking lot in Fort Lee to consume the food.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.