Waiting period

Is anybody else in the waiting period of applying to become an EMT? I guess I was hoping to already be helping out at the station and gearing up for class. Don't get me wrong i'm not complaining. I will do whatever it take how ever long it takes! I'm just impatient lol Hoping to hear how some of ya'll got through it or are getting through it. What can I be doing other then wishing I was on the ambulance every time I see it drive through town lol Thanks for reading and hopefully replying smile.gif

Are you talking about becoming an EMT, or becoming an EMT student? Your question (and "occupation") is confusing.

Are you talking about becoming an EMT, or becoming an EMT student? Your question (and "occupation") is confusing.

I'm applying to become a volunteer EMT and my local firehouse. I have to apply to become a member then I will take the EMT-B course. Sorry for the confusion.

Are you waiting to be accepted as a member of a fire house or into a class? I see you say you're from Maryland, where in MD? I used to be very active there and might be able to give you some more answers...

PM me if you want.

K

I'm applying to become a volunteer EMT and my local firehouse. I have to apply to become a member then I will take the EMT-B course. Sorry for the confusion.

I see that you'e in MD. It would seem that once you become a member with the firehouse, they will happy to point you in the right direction, which will be for you to obtain your EMTB cert. Thats the next step, putting you though a EMT-B course

Edited by 2Rude4MyOwnGood

I see that you'e in MD. It would seem that once you become a member with the firehouse, they will happy to point you in the right direction, which will be for you to obtain your EMTB cert. Thats the next step, putting you though a EMT-B course

I think that is her problem. She seems to be putting the cart before the horse. Why would a "rescue squad" be in a hurry to invest thousands into training one more person with no qualifications, who will most likely just disappear soon like the rest? Look at the turnover rate of most volly squads and you'll understand what I mean.

Think about it; If you were selecting applicants, wouldn't you rather select someone who had already demonstrated the minimal initiative and commitment necessary to finish EMT school without being led by the hand? It is not necessary to join any silly club in order to obtain an education. In fact, in most cases, it is better that you don't. Then, when you do join, you won't be just another person in the way, like the rest. You'll be glad you did.

What is your ultimate goal? Do you have any kind of plan? Are you looking for a profession, a job, or just a hobby?

I think that is her problem. She seems to be putting the cart before the horse. Why would a "rescue squad" be in a hurry to invest thousands into training one more person with no qualifications, who will most likely just disappear soon like the rest? Look at the turnover rate of most volly squads and you'll understand what I mean.

Think about it; If you were selecting applicants, wouldn't you rather select someone who had already demonstrated the minimal initiative and commitment necessary to finish EMT school without being led by the hand? It is not necessary to join any silly club in order to obtain an education. In fact, in most cases, it is better that you don't. Then, when you do join, you won't be just another person in the way, like the rest. You'll be glad you did.

What is your ultimate goal? Do you have any kind of plan? Are you looking for a profession, a job, or just a hobby?

[/quote

The reason I went the fire house route is because I want to keep my options open to become a fire fighter as well as a EMT. I also want to give back to my own community and help the people at my fire station who I have the up most respect for. I am not going to "disappear" as you put it and this is not just a hobby. I do plan to form a career out of it in conjunction with other goals I have in life.

I do plan to form a career out of it in conjunction with other goals I have in life.

The reason I (as will others) mention it is, EMS is incompatible with most other goals in life. It sucks the life out of you, preventing you from ever being able to advance your education or other personal goals, like a family life, etc...

If you are seeking a career in either fire or EMS, think about this; why should your local government actually hire you when there are hundreds of young people just like you who are happy to do the "job" for free, just for the chance to hang out at the station and polish their nozzles while their peers ooh and aah with adoration? Doesn't it seem that your immediate plans are counterproductive to your long-term plans? Lots of us spent too many years in this rat race before we figured it out. I hope you are quicker on the uptake than we were.

OP-

There are lots of opinions regarding EMS, and Dust's are just one of those. You should know though that a lot of people get into EMS thinking that it is something different from what it is. Many, many people end up disillusioned and unhappy- stuck in a job that they can no longer get themselves out of. That said, there are a LOT of people who are really happy with what they do, and get satisfaction out of it every day. My personal experience is that there are more of the former than the latter, but that's just what I've seen. I'm really not convinced that the ratio of unhappy to happy people in EMS is any different from any other profession.

You should listen to the opinions of the more seasoned folks here, and just remember to keep your eyes open as you get into this work. That said, enjoy your class!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.