Equipment

5. Pens - good pens and lots of them (you will lose them very very often)

Any and all writing implements have a nasty habit of becoming nasty with blood, and will usually be left with whoever bloodied them. Get something that comes by the dozen, like the "Bic Stick" pens, or similar.

Basic list of equipment to get for a new EMT

2. At least 3 pairs of shears - you never know when you will lose a pair so a spare is important

5. Pens - good pens and lots of them (you will lose them very very often)

Although I very much agree with Ruff on both of these points there is a bit of a Caveat to these. Multiple pairs of shears agreed, but Dear Lord only carry one pair on your person, and two pens. The rest keep in your backpack on the truck. Those nifty 5.11 pants hold far more than you would ever need. Carrying more will make you look far too whackerish. I also suggest carrying two spare pairs of gloves in a belt pouch. You have mentioned in your posts that you intend on going straight on to paramedic school, although the proper legenth of time before proceeding to paramedic school has been done to death and is a very controversial topic I would tell you this. Buy a good stethoscope (My personal preference is a Littman Master Classic II) and engrave your initials on the bell, rather than buying a cheap one and upgrading later.

Fireman1037

Although I very much agree with Ruff on both of these points there is a bit of a Caveat to these. Multiple pairs of shears agreed, but Dear Lord only carry one pair on your person, and two pens. The rest keep in your backpack on the truck. Those nifty 5.11 pants hold far more than you would ever need. Carrying more will make you look far too whackerish. I also suggest carrying two spare pairs of gloves in a belt pouch. You have mentioned in your posts that you intend on going straight on to paramedic school, although the proper legenth of time before proceeding to paramedic school has been done to death and is a very controversial topic I would tell you this. Buy a good stethoscope (My personal preference is a Littman Master Classic II) and engrave your initials on the bell, rather than buying a cheap one and upgrading later.

Fireman1037

I wasn't completely clear - yes only carry one pair of scissors on your person, the other spares can be kept elsewhere.

Pens- yes most will be taken by the "Hot nurses" but the bloody ones get thrown away. Bic black pens write as well as any pen out there.

For god's sake don't do what my partner did, he got his medic license and went out and bought a mont blanc pen. spent 230 bucks on it. He left it on the ER desk at the local hospital and that was the end of it. He was bummed.

Fireman1037

I know. Some training centers out here want 6-12 months experience as EMT before they will accept you in Paramedic school but some will let you in. I want to complete paramedic school as well a any other advanced classes before I move to CA and start to apply for jobs.

PENS ... carry one for yourself (that you never EVER allow anyone else to touch and that you never EVER touch with a gloved hand) and one for everyone else on your person. Keep an extra BOX of disposable pens in the truck. NEVER NEVER NEVER chew on your disposable pen. Strangely enough, the guy who taught me the concept of a having a disposable pen would chew on whatever pen he happened to have in his hand. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwah

I like the Littman scopes ... Amazon for about $40.