Student With Question About Education Route

Hello:

I am currently looking for advice on what classes to take and where. I currently live in Las Vegas, Nevada. I am started EMT B class at College of Southern Nevada Fall 2011. A family friend of mine is trying to talk me into working toward my RN degree along with my Paramedic degree. Does anyone think this is a good idea? College of Southern Nevada will only let you take EMT B and EMT I with no experience. To enroll in the paramedic program,they want 6 months experience but I do not have time for that. I am looking to move from one course to another. Should I take the RN classes too? Should I take the paramedic class at AMR? I am lost. Any advise would be good.

Thanks,

I think the most important question here is, what do you want to do? Do you want to be a paramedic or a nurse? I think your answer to that question will answer the rest. The only one that can answer it is you. If you want opinions on the pros/cons of each degree, that is a different story and you will find lots of good advice on this forum.

Well, I would like to finish the EMT B, EMT I and EMT P classes back to back. I want take as many "extra" paramedic classes I can take so when I do apply at AMR or fire department, I will have tons on education behind me. I was told that a Paramedic that is a RN has a really good chance of getting hired and top pay. What are your ideas?

I think the most important question here is, what do you want to do? Do you want to be a paramedic or a nurse? I think your answer to that question will answer the rest. The only one that can answer it is you. If you want opinions on the pros/cons of each degree, that is a different story and you will find lots of good advice on this forum.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello:

I am currently looking for advice on what classes to take and where. I currently live in Las Vegas, Nevada. I am started EMT B class at College of Southern Nevada Fall 2011. A family friend of mine is trying to talk me into working toward my RN degree along with my Paramedic degree. Does anyone think this is a good idea? College of Southern Nevada will only let you take EMT B and EMT I with no experience. To enroll in the paramedic program,they want 6 months experience but I do not have time for that. I am looking to move from one course to another. Should I take the RN classes too? Should I take the paramedic class at AMR? I am lost. Any advise would be good.

Thanks,

It will also depend on what level of RN you're wanting to get. If you're primarily interested in working in the street, focus on becoming the best EMTB or I you can. From there, get the EMT-P and some more experience. Then you may want to start looking at a paramedic - RN bridge program. I don't know about other areas, but around here, govco is only interested in providing the bare minimum necessary crew required. That amounts to a Paramedic who makes about $24k and one other warm body - maybe a basic, maybe more, maybe less. I heard of one call in North Carolina where EMS drafted a bystander (not one of the three dozen firefighters at the car-accident, not one of the PD, but a bystander) to drive the ambulance. "Hey you, slack-jaw, come drive for us." Don't believe me?

GROVER — When he saw it was a car wreck, Ben O’Brien jumped out of his Hummer, rushed to help an injured family and drove the ambulance carrying an injured victim to the hospital.

But O’Brien isn’t an EMT. He’s a grocery store manager who just happened to be the first to drive up to the wreck on Battleground Road in Grover.

Click here for the story...

There is certainly more money in nursing and EMS is a good start. But, I'd say take the time to get the experience. If you're interested in being the best healthcare provider you can be, you'll learn more in the street than you will ever learn in a classroom.

It will also depend on what level of RN you're wanting to get. If you're primarily interested in working in the street, focus on becoming the best EMTB or I you can. From there, get the EMT-P and some more experience. Then you may want to start looking at a paramedic - RN bridge program. I don't know about other areas, but around here, govco is only interested in providing the bare minimum necessary crew required. That amounts to a Paramedic who makes about $24k and one other warm body - maybe a basic, maybe more, maybe less. I heard of one call in North Carolina where EMS drafted a bystander (not one of the three dozen firefighters at the car-accident, not one of the PD, but a bystander) to drive the ambulance. "Hey you, slack-jaw, come drive for us." Don't believe me?

Click here for the story...

There is certainly more money in nursing and EMS is a good start. But, I'd say take the time to get the experience. If you're interested in being the best healthcare provider you can be, you'll learn more in the street than you will ever learn in a classroom.

thanks chappy for the reply.

I'm with the doc here. You need to decide what your ultimate goal is. If you want to be a nurse, go to nursing school and bypass EMS. If you want to be a paramedic, do that. You say you just started EMTB, so clearly you are interested in prehospital care. It is quite different from nursing- a different mindset, a different philosophy, and a different perspective. Yes, they are both health care, but vastly different in terms of pay, job opportunities, and working conditions. EMS folks are a unique breed, and unless you really love the work, you will quickly become frustrated. Many providers go to nursing school on the side after they have been in EMS for awhile- for increased pay, better benefits, better job opportunities, but simply cannot get EMS out of their blood. Some give up the EMS portion and move on, or change gears to another allied health profession.

Time to set your priorities and see where you stand- especially if you are just starting out in school. Education is expensive, and unfortunately that is a very real consideration that needs to be factored in here.

Good luck.

Either eay you go, don't settle for the diploma/certificate program...get your degree!

I've noticed that the certificate/diploma courses have a primary focus on getting you to pass the NREMT/certifying board exams. Give yourself and your patients the best that you can by earning your degree.

Granted, this inhibits the 'zero to hero' mentality that a lot of these 'patch mill' schools are pushing, but in the end; you and your patients will be better off for the extra work it takes to get your degree....

Thank You Herbie and Lone Star. Good replies

Either eay you go, don't settle for the diploma/certificate program...get your degree!

I've noticed that the certificate/diploma courses have a primary focus on getting you to pass the NREMT/certifying board exams. Give yourself and your patients the best that you can by earning your degree.

Granted, this inhibits the 'zero to hero' mentality that a lot of these 'patch mill' schools are pushing, but in the end; you and your patients will be better off for the extra work it takes to get your degree....

I agree with the above, first finish EMT B, work a little, make sure you love the job. After you get some experience, you can decide between nurse or medic. I see no benefit to doing both, as it would be similar to being licensed in residential and commercial construction, related fields, but totally different. Do what you love.