The Guys who give all emts a bad name

ColinW

...Don't sweat it dude, no harm no foul. You have a vaild point it just came across a bit strong. I didnt want to say anything back to that since you have given me and many others alot of helpful advice on here ya know, it was a respect thing.... I didnt want to question such a good member of emt city.

I get that brother, and am grateful for it. But to allow such behavior implies that I am as good as I need to be, as smart, and as strong, and no longer need my friends here to help me out when I go off into the ditch. Nothing could be further from the truth. I have many strong opinions that I am willing, in fact enjoy defending concerning EMS, but they are often unproved and as often as not wrong.

I'm truly grateful for your respect, but please don't respect me so much that you're willing to watch me be worse tomorrow than I was today instead of better. I'm grateful that you're here, and thanks for responding to me post.

.. But the thing about this dude is that he does this in front of his superiors and nothing is done about it. Im very happy about my schooling, im learning alot and im beginning to help people a little bit alreaady and i love that but i will never work there if a guy that like can be there for 5 years. The school/ambulance service has one hell of a line up of EMS personel, four vietnam medics, two ex-members of lifeflight crews, a iraqi war medic, and at least three RNs that i know of.....and that dude what a shame.

Yeah man, I get this completely. Especially when you're beginning, studying so hard, you want to believe that you're doing it so that you can become part of something admirable, something to be proud of....it's hard on that image when you watch shitheads like this run rampant, right? But it's good too...because in my short EMS career I've not been part of a service that was full of people that I respected. Each had at least one, and sometimes many medics/basics that I respect, and each had some loser shithead that should have been removed from the field..(in my opinion) and it showed me that I had to be MY kind of medic. I chose those that I respected and tried to be in their company when I could, to learn from them and be challenged by them, and just let the rest run around bumping into walls...

You are off to a great start attitude wise! But you truly, truly, truly must work on your spelling and grammar. It is not only so folks here will take your more seriously, as I believe you deserve, but that kind of demand for improvement and attention to detail will color EVERY SINGLE THING you do in EMS. It's not just practicing writing, it's practicing improving, and and that is a habit you want to start developing now..so future students don't come here posting asking why they have to be exposed to you!

Have a great day man. Thanks for participating...it's good to have you.

Dwayne

• Like 1

This is just my own personal rant.

In Dallas, EMS really has a bad rap. This of course does not come w/o merit though. We have alot of EMS providers (EMT's and Paramedic's alike)just not caring or not seeking knowledge to better themselves and their patient care. As a result comes very basic protocols to reduce liability, and lowered standards of patient care. It is a shame. When I got into this, I wanted to give 100% when it comes to patient care. I never wanted to be the EMT that only knew what was taught in school. Now as the end of paramedic school comes closer to an end for me, I am learning from the doctors I work with at the monitoring center where I currently work.

I do not believe EMS can move forward in a direction in which we want unless we take what we do seriously. (please do not interpret "seriously" as you have to work with a pole up your butt) Only when pro's in the medical profession see that we know what we are doing and then some can we move truely past "ambulance drivers" or "knowing enough to be dangerous".

• Like 2

ColinW,

You've no doubt heard the expression, "Perception is reality"; especially when dealing with the pediatric patient. Unfortunately, this concept also applies to the general public's impression of EMS. One chucklehead with a poor attitude, bad driving skills, etc; and the whole EMS system in that area (if not ALL EMS systems) is branded by that chucklehead's behavior.

You, as a student MUST take this to your instructor. I'm sure that the habits and attitude of this preceptor is NOT what his/her students should be exposed to. It doesn't matter if "that's the way he is", or "That's what he's always done".

I had a similar experience with a medic preceptor, who made it VERY clear that he and the instructor were 'great friends'. He spent the whole shift with his 'paragod attitude' and letting me know that as an EMT-I, I was 'beneath him', and spent the shift talking down to me and busting my chops every chance he got.

With him making it clear that he was 'great friends' with the instructor made it very difficult to report this guy. My medic instructor made it VERY clear that if there are 'problems' that we MUST bring it to him so that he can evaluate the medic's behavior and see if thats the type of preceptor he wants for his students.

It's far too easy to dismiss this as a 'one time only' situation, but ultimately if you DON'T say something, you're only cheating yourself in your education. Be 'proactive'!

• 5 weeks later...

I agree with everyone else here, This guy needs to be reported! If enough people complain about him maybe they will be forced to do something. Unfortunately there are providers like that everywhere....We have one in my agency that I'd like to punch in the mouth sometimes. He is arrogant, childish, and although his skills are fine his patient interaction and judgment calls leave a lot to be desired. I have mentioned it to my supervisors and had discussions with my Lieutenant (I'm a Captain) about it and he is being watched now. Good luck and let me know if anything positive happens. Keep us your skills and be the best EMT you can be!

It is tough for the student to know what he/she should do. Many of us are saying to report it to the Instructor and I agree but we have to remember how it was when we were in school. I've been an EMT since 95 and a Paramedic since 98; so no one can intimidate me. Not to say I am not humble and can not accept criticism. Because I can. However, insult and disrespect will not fly...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.