Extrication Day

Was awesome!

Played with the Halligens, axes, Hurst Tools (AKA The Jaws of Life), watched air bags explode. The Helicopter crew even came out for an hour to hang out. Found out I love doing standing take downs and rapid extrication.

I know as EMT's (at least in our state) we don't get to use them all that much, but man, what a rockstar day I had. :punk: I don't know if I'll ever get to legally pull a door off a car again.

Yeah, solidified I'm going into the right field.

-MetalMedic

I don't want to drive a cloud over your excitement, but you just hit upon a very important point that you need to seriously consider.

Is any of this going to be practised by you with enough regularity and expert supervision that it is committed to long-term memory and becomes second nature? If not, you are playing a very dangerous game with human lives. This is why most civilised countries have 2 to 4 year entry level training, not 2-6 months.

I always felt it was important for EMS providers to have a good understanding of vehicle extrication, because you are in control of that patient and you are with them. Should be up to you on how you want them taken out. Not some buffoon with no idea what patient care is.

Being a certified vehicle extrication technician helps a lot when I am on scene. Given, you don't have to go to that level, nor should you unless you were doing rescue operations. There have been times when the rescue/fire crews have asked me how I want the patient taken out. Otherwise, I told them what I wanted done.

But yes, Dust is right. This is a very dangerous thing to play around with. Many of the airbag systems are located in the posts, and cutting them, well would be very bad. Just an example of course. But a basic knowledge of things never hurt anyone. Just know your limits.

I don't want to drive a cloud over your excitement, but you just hit upon a very important point that you need to seriously consider.

Is any of this going to be practised by you with enough regularity and expert supervision that it is committed to long-term memory and becomes second nature? If not, you are playing a very dangerous game with human lives. This is why most civilised countries have 2 to 4 year entry level training, not 2-6 months.

I fully understand. The point of the day was to give us exposure so we could understand how dangerous it can be, not necessarly for us to get all the knowledge we could so we can use it on a regular basis.

Taken out of context, in a day to just get to know the equipment and NOT have to worry about patient care, it was a blast to play with.

Trust me, I couldn't have been any more attententive when they did a mock rapid extracation and it got real.

My point was, it was really fun to play with all the big tools I'll never get a chance to play with again. (As I will not be going into fire fighting).

So please take it with a grain of salt. :)

-MetalMedic

Glad you had fun with the toys. Yea leave it up to the fire guys to keep playing with them, EMTs just need concintrate on patient care.

Didn't see it mentioned but did they let you sit in the car while it was being ripped apart? THAT is an experience in and of itself. Something I think ALL EMTs need to be exposed to. Its amazing the sounds you hear under the blanket. If you get used to them it is easier to calm your patient if your not freaking out as well :lol:

Hopefully whatever squad you get on after school does pratice drills regularly to get you to commit to long term memory the keys to rapid extrication, KED, holding Cspine while transfering to the long board, ect ect.

Then remeber one thing as well,once you learn it all and commit it to memory it all goes out the window in the field LOL just kidding but it does get awkward when the car is upside down, on its side in a ditch, hung up on a guide wire, stuffed under a tractor trailor, or any number of other ways cars don't always stay rubber side down. Its is amazign how we can get our bodies into some of those wrecks, I have made yoga instructors jelous :lol:

Glad you had fun.

Edited by UGLyEMT