Need advice regarding Los Angeles County EMS.

This is my situation...

I live in Los Angeles County (city of West Covina) and am enrolling in the Fall 2011 EMT-B course at Mt. San Antonio College (Mt.SAC). My major at Mt.SAC is Radiologic Technology. This program has a three year waiting list. I plan to get my EMT-B certification and seek work in the EMS field while I finish my prerequisites and general ed. classes that are needed to fulfill the Associate's Degree requirements for the Rad Tech program. I currently live with my 80 year-old grandmother (who was living alone prior to my moving in) to help her around the house, take her to doctor's appts., etc. In exchange, she charges me ridiculously cheap rent ($200/mon!). Based on these two factors, I will be limited to seeking work in my area or close by.

From the information I've gleaned by reviewing other forum posts, I realize that working in the EMS field while going to school will be difficult at best. However, I'm still relatively young, single, and have no children; therefore I have no other factors demanding my time other than work, school, and driving Grams to her doctor for the occasional appointment.

In addition, in no way whatsoever do I plan to earn my EMT-B certification with the SOLE INTENTION of playing "ambulance driver" for a little bit while I finish school. I read a post stating that in LAC, unfortunately, more often than not the Non fire-based EMS simply provide transport for the Fire Department EMS (please correct me if I'm wrong). If this is the case for EMT-B's in my area, then so be it. Such is the nature of the beast. I just wanted to make it clear that I have the utmost respect for EMS on all levels, and that I do not view the EMT-B as a trivial position. Even after I finish my radiologic technologist program I fully intend to keep my EMT certification valid through any means available (volly shifts, etc.). I also plan to continue my EMS education by applying to medic school as soon as possible, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

These are my questions...

For my area, would it be better to pursue a fire-based EMT position or a Non fire-based position?

Which of the above stated positions would be better suited for me (being a part-time student and all)?

In closing, regarding school and work, I am one stubborn S.O.B. that will not shy away from a challenge. No matter how daunting. Now matter how impossible. If there's even the slightest chance for success I will take that chance and give it my all. I make this post seeking the truth in this situation (no matter how ugly that truth might be). Based on other posts I've seen while browsing this forum, I would expect nothing less from you qualified ladies and gentlemen. Any and all advice/questions regarding this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time!

These are my questions...

For my area, would it be better to pursue a fire-based EMT position or a Non fire-based position?

The waiting list for Rad school is shorter than the waiting list to get hired by a fire department in the LA area, if that answers your question. A simple EMT-B card won't make you any more eligible than the half million other guys -- many who are paramedics with degrees -- that are applying for that same rare opening.

Which of the above stated positions would be better suited for me (being a part-time student and all)?

Neither. It's not about how much you work or go to school. It's about how those two schedules work together. Typical ambulance shifts are 24 hours or 12 hours long, and that is only if you get off on time, which is never a given. One of the biggest reasons medics and EMTs never complete college (especially nursing school) is because they get kicked out for absences.

As for an LA EMT-B only being transport for the FD, that's a best-case scenario. Most LA EMTs never even get close to an EMS scene. They spend all day driving invalids around to and from nursing homes.

Sorry, but this is one of the worst possible choices for a part-time student job, bro.

Thanks for the reply, Dust. I appreciate the honesty. I believe I'll stay at my current job and enroll in the EMT-B class anyways, even if I can't find a worthwhile EMS position in my area. As an EMT-B, I'll at least have some valuable knowledge and training that I wouldn't have had otherwise. Plus, I don't plan to stay in this area permanently, so chances are I can find myself in a region where the EMS system is better developed.

Thanks again for the advice.

Nothing wrong with that! If you're an outdoorsman, or just an active person, then there's a good chance that the training will come in handy someday. Just be aware that, like any knowledge, if you don't use it, you will lose it. Even those who get jobs on transfer ambulances end up losing much of what they learned and stagnating professionally. Luckily, you will at least have patient exposure as an RT, which gives you the opportunity to keep the mental gears greased.

I don't know how far you are into the RT prerequisites, but most of us would seriously recommend that you have both semesters of A&P behind you before taking an EMT course. What they teach in EMT school is nothing more than just enough to make you dangerous. Having those classes ahead of time will put you light years ahead of the game. In fact, the better EMT schools require it. And hey, you gotta take it anyhow, so there's no better time than the present.

Good to hear you don't plan on staying in LA forever. It's a Hell-hole, especially EMS wise. I'm sure glad I never got sick or injured there.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply, Dust. I appreciate the honesty. I believe I'll stay at my current job and enroll in the EMT-B class anyways, even if I can't find a worthwhile EMS position in my area. As an EMT-B, I'll at least have some valuable knowledge and training that I wouldn't have had otherwise. Plus, I don't plan to stay in this area permanently, so chances are I can find myself in a region where the EMS system is better developed.

Thanks again for the advice.

Careful! That's what I did! Saw a woman get hit by a cab, didn't know what to do so thought, "I'm going to take an EMTB class so that that never happens again!"

And here I am.... :-)

Dwayne

Careful! That's what I did! Saw a woman get hit by a cab, didn't know what to do so thought, "I'm going to take an EMTB class so that that never happens again!"

And here I am.... :-)

Dwayne

Me too... my husband starting puking blood and I just about lost it. Never wanted to feel that helpless or useless again... and here I am ..... :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

I think you should pursue your interest in EMS.

L.A. County is actually not a bad place to work as a new EMT as long as you can get a job with an ambulance that responds to 911 calls. You should not expect to immediatley get a job for such a company since lots of people graduate from EMT schools and everyone wants to do the 911 stuff. So, take the class, but have something else in mind that you can do until you get hired by a company that does 911.

By the way, there are no EMT ambulance jobs for fire departments in L.A. County.

I worked on an ambulance in L.A. for a year a while back and I still have great memories of that job. Good luck to you!

Funny, but I didn't fall into EMS like other people here are saying. I already knew I wanted to be a paramedic, and I'd taken anatomy, physiology, and a medical terminology class before even taking the EMT class. Since you are likely taking those classes as pre-req's for your radiology tech school, you will have a better understanding of the things you'll learn in the EMT class.

I'm actually taking A & P this winter (2011). I need a math class and chemistry before I can apply to the Rad. Technologist program itself, then I'm taking A & P while I'm on the waiting list. I'll be registering for the EMT-B course during the Spring 2012 semester.

Edit: I'm taking Medical Terminology in the winter as well.

Edited by Del_Lacuy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.