Change in age recommendation on rear facing safety seats

rat115

I was looking on line today and found an article on CNN talking about the American Academy of Pediatrics having changed their recommendation for rear-facing child safety seats. http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/03/21/car.seat.guidelines.parenting/index.html?hpt=T2

They are saying that the longer a child can be rear-facing the safer the child is. Instead of 1 year AND 20 lbs, they are now saying at least 2 years or until the child exceeds the limits of the rear-facing convertible seat.

I was looking on line today and found an article on CNN talking about the American Academy of Pediatrics having changed their recommendation for rear-facing child safety seats. http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/03/21/car.seat.guidelines.parenting/index.html?hpt=T2

They are saying that the longer a child can be rear-facing the safer the child is. Instead of 1 year AND 20 lbs, they are now saying at least 2 years or until the child exceeds the limits of the rear-facing convertible seat.

I think that's old news or old recommendations.

when our daughter was born, the doctor said that she should be in a rear facing seat at least until 18 months but preferably 2 years.

She also said that if we could keep her in the rear facing until we got up to the weight limit that was even better.

This is really good info to have for anyone getting ready to have a kidlet.

We are keeping our daughter in the rear facing seat position for as long as we can. She doesn't mind, honestly.

Makes my wife feel safer.

My 16 month old twins are still in a rear facing car seat and they don't mind it at all. I Went by the fire hall a month ago, and the guy I spoke to, said he would change the car seats so they would face forward, but they are much safer while the car seat is facing the back of the vehicle. I plan on leaving my kids that way until they are about 18 months to 2 years old. Depending on much they grow over the next few months!

I think that's old news or old recommendations.

when our daughter was born, the doctor said that she should be in a rear facing seat at least until 18 months but preferably 2 years.

She also said that if we could keep her in the rear facing until we got up to the weight limit that was even better.

This is really good info to have for anyone getting ready to have a kidlet.

We are keeping our daughter in the rear facing seat position for as long as we can. She doesn't mind, honestly.

Makes my wife feel safer.

No, it's not something that's not been said before. It's just finally getting all of the right people on board with it.

Child Safety Seat Techs have been saying this and more docs were getting on board, but until now the AAP hadn't made such a solid statement for it and encourage all pediatricians to encourage it exclusively.

Sounds like your doc is up on important information before it's old news. :thumbsup:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.