ambulance or company vehicle

PCP

My only question is about the COMPANY'S policy, not medical protocols. If this injury occurred off the clock, then things may be a bit more simple. If it's an injury that occurred at work, often times workers comp or company insurance rules dictate how a person must receive their medical care. In most cases, if they refuse an ambulance, then the all costs incurred would be the responsibility of the worker- they would NOT be covered by company insurance. I'd check your company's rules and regulations.

As for the wisdom of refusing recommended care, as with any other patient it is their right, but they need to be advised of not only the possible medical consequences but any financial impact they may see because of their choice.

(All this being said from someone in the US. Not sure if the liability rules change north of the border...)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My only question is about the COMPANY'S policy, not medical protocols. If this injury occurred off the clock, then things may be a bit more simple. If it's an injury that occurred at work, often times workers comp or company insurance rules dictate how a person must receive their medical care. In most cases, if they refuse an ambulance, then the all costs incurred would be the responsibility of the worker- they would NOT be covered by company insurance. I'd check your company's rules and regulations.

As for the wisdom of refusing recommended care, as with any other patient it is their right, but they need to be advised of not only the possible medical consequences but any financial impact they may see because of their choice.

(All this being said from someone in the US. Not sure if the liability rules change north of the border...)

HERBIE1 that is a great question. I am not sure what the company's policy is if a patient declines transport and treatment by the first aid attendant on duty, but gets taken in by a coworker. The person who was injured is a staff member and as mentioned is the acting Mine manager for this week. I am going to bring that question up with the head of the safety department this afternoon when I see him. The company I work for is not part of the mine or the union. We are contracted out by the mine site, and I know if we transport a patient to the hospital via ambulance and I need to wake up my cross shift to cover the first aid office while I am gone, my boss sends a invoice to the mine and if it is another contractor that is being taken out by ambulance he sends the invoice to the injured works company.

Thanks for bringing that issue to my attention, I will bring it up with the safety department.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.