Religous Practices Observance

uglyEMT

Hey Hey hey I thought this thread was about tolerance and understanding of different cultures, those aforementioned objects are my religious art o facts ... don't be bad mouthing my religion bro. those jumping critters be my pets just like sea monkeys in that beer can.

ps you think my avatar is a joke ?

No worries squints :icecream: Im a loyal follower of temple of Budwiser :beer: and I wasn't makign fun of them either. I was making a point of the area I am from. Honestly I wish HIPAA wouldn't stop me from taking photos on a call it was a really awsome looking chandlier. He used the antlers for the main support structure and the beer cans were shaped into twisting flames and he wires it with those flickering candle like bulbs. Was really awsome looking.

Getting back to religous tolerence I would never disrespect someones faith or creed. Thats why I began this thread in the first place.:D

http://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?pageID=71&&section=1184&section2=2003&ID=24421

Does this help ?

those are composted of plastic for the overly environmentally sensitive followers in my church that follow the "Gospel According to Saint Bud"

B)

Edited by tniuqs

Pretty close squints. Just add Bud cans and its all there.

Herbie you are sometimes correct when in doubt Natie Ice :thumbsup: life is never THAT short :rofl:

This topic reminds me of an episode of "Trauma", where they respond to a Middle-Eastern church for a woman down. When they arrive, the crew conflicts about whether or not to remove her clothing. They ultimately do, but not before the woman's husband nearly dies from seeing her exposed navel. I know it is (was) a terrible show, but it did have some relevant topics.

I work near Dearborn,MI. We have one of the largest arabic communities in the country. Improperly touching/examining a female can lead to assault from the husband or other male family members. Honestly, this "honor killing" business is very serious. Its not just a solitary crazy guy here and there. These are deeply ingrained cultural beliefs. I would request a female EMT to treat. If it wasn't a very serious call i would simply ride it in to hospital without any invasive procedure. (Usually a short ride to the closest hospital) If its serious, maybe get her in the ambulance first then start treatment? I would appreciate any one elses input. This situation is common up here. ( not so much the burkas, but modesty)

I work near Dearborn,MI. We have one of the largest arabic communities in the country. Improperly touching/examining a female can lead to assault from the husband or other male family members. Honestly, this "honor killing" business is very serious. Its not just a solitary crazy guy here and there. These are deeply ingrained cultural beliefs. I would request a female EMT to treat. If it wasn't a very serious call i would simply ride it in to hospital without any invasive procedure. (Usually a short ride to the closest hospital) If its serious, maybe get her in the ambulance first then start treatment? I would appreciate any one elses input. This situation is common up here. ( not so much the burkas, but modesty)

Like any treatment, I would simply put it back on the patient and/or family members. Say "In order for us to properly assess and treat this person we need to do A, B, and C. We will be as respectful of modesty as possible, but if you refuse to allow us to do our jobs, then you must sign this release from liability that says you acknowledge and understand the possible risks and consequences(and clearly outline those details for them) for refusing to let us properly do our jobs." Essentially it's no different than if someone refuses spinal immobilization or IV access. I do remind the patient that they called for EMS, not a taxi, and this is what we are trained to do. I explain we take every step possible to protect the patient's privacy and modesty.

In the case of a critical and/or incompetent patient, I know things get trickier. Law enforcement is an option, as is treating outside the view of family(in my experience, the patient is generally not the one who objects the most). At this point your responsibility is to the patient, not to honor the religious preferences of the family. If at all possible, get verbal and/or written consent from the patient, DOCUMENT that fact, and do what you have to do.

Obviously if you feel threatened, and LEO's are not an option, then do what you need to do to protect yourself, rapid transport, and document the hell out of the call in case there is a bad outcome.

• Like 1

You have to love people that are motivated by litigation and CYA.

If you follow a simple process of customer service, best possible patient care given the circumstances, and informed consent for all things, you won't go wrong. Due dilligence goes two ways: were you dilligent in meeting the standard of care and were you dilligent in respecting laws, human rights and civil liberties?

What's the harm if a family asks you to remove your dirty footwear so as to not damage their flooring? Look at the situation and if there is no threat, why not? We are there as servants not the ultimate authority. What would you want done in your home if you had to call for service? (Hardwood floors caked with mud, grit and snow?)

If the patient has ceremonial clothing, get their consent and do what you can to respect their dignity. The process of 'expose and examine' doesn't have to mean pulling out trauma shears every time, learn to think outside of the box a little.

In order to gain respect, you have to give respect. Keep in mind, public and patient perception is the rule, they could care less about how well you treat them medically. It's the soft skills and interpersonal communication that they remember and how they perceive their experience.

I was just thinking: has anyone putting a 3 or 12 lead EKG onto a patient ever handed the patient an electrode already attached, telling the patient to put this on their body where you point to on yours (Language barrier being the only reason this might not work)?

Improperly touching/examining a female can lead to assault from the husband or other male family members. Honestly, this "honor killing" business is very serious.

Exact same situation here and no not Arab, those pasty white hicks (btw lots of Arabs are of other religions) but we call it Whoop Your Ass in Alberta if you touch my woman inappropriately.

The question remains in : If EMS is summoned to give medical care, just exactly what is the expectations and tolerance for the average North American Health Care Provider as kevkie eludes to respect is a 2 way street.

If a Muslim individual is so "orthodox" in their view's and unreceptive of the this moral majority. Why are they even a candidate for naturalization / citizenship in their "chosen land".

MOST seriously: Honour killing has no place in North American culture, but once again points to some incomparability mixing cultures together.

cheers

Edited by tniuqs

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.