Patient Has A Service Dog

Mike, thanks for taking my comments in the spirit intended. And your above statement is, as I'm sure you know and being the reason you posted it, the crux of my argument. Why are you willing to advocate for one pt and not the other? What makes one grandmother's emotional comfort more important than another? I would suggest that it's perhaps your involvement in the creation of these animals that pushes you towards seeing them as needing special rights and protection.

Let me try it this way. It's not an issue of a lack of patient advocacy from one patient to the next. It's a matter of providing for each patient as a matter of necessity.

Grandma's pet Fluffy isn't a necessary tool to the daily safe function of Grandma or those around her. She can function just fine without the dog around. Sure, she might not want to function and will be unhappy because she misses the dog. But she can still function without danger to herself or others in the absence of the dog... even in a hospital environment.

Those in need of a service animal don't share that same luxury. That's why they have the service animal. They are at a distinct disadvantage when compared to someone with no need for the service animal. Often times, those who rely on a service animal do so because it helps them function without, or greatly reducing the, danger to themselves or others.

I don't see this as an emotional support issue. Emotional support can be provided in many ways. Being able to function, however, on whatever level, with the assistance of a service animal isn't so much an emotional issue as it is a safety issue for the individual in question. Take away the service dog and you're effectively blinding the individual. Or removing his/her ability to know a seizure is coming. Or whatever function the service animal serves.

Grandma will get the support somewhere. Those in need of the service animal won't always get that without the service animal.

Does this making any more sense?

To answer your last question, my advocacy for service animals existed long before any experience I may have had with working with those who use them.

Interestingly enough, and motivated by this discussion, I did some research on the topic. Hospitals are, in fact, allowed to limit service animals in *some* areas. This has been held up in several court cases. However, there are ways that this must be handled by hospital staff. Generally, however, service animals are allowed even in hospitals.

This is why, as I noted previously, every hospital with which I've been familiar has had some sort of protocol or policy in place on dealing with patients and their service animals. It does not affect my decision, as posed in the OP, as to whether or not the animal is transported. The service dog goes with the patient as there is a legitimate safety/functionality need for the animal to stay with the patient. Grandma, who's dog has no specialty training and serves no safety/functionality role, doesn't get to go.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

In order to be in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1970, the EMS service must allow the patient and the service animal to be transported together. Most service animals are well behaved and highly trained.

I had a situtation such as this one arise and the firemedic commenced to telling the patient that "pets or animals are not allowed in EMS units". I reminded him that my unit is my responsibility and I decide who rides regardless if it is human or animal.

Needless to say a complaint was filed against me by the firemedic with my company and state medical review board. When I produced documentation from the USDOJ Disabilities Division regarding the ADA and service animals...the complaint was dismissed with a formal apology from the firemedic ordered by the fire chief.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.