Hey there

paigenoelani

I'm from the Central valley here in California. I just passed my NREMT and looking forward to working with EMS. I've been doing research online and this site always has helpful info so I thought I should join!

The truth is I have been wanting to work in the medical field for years, and I'm finally doing it, but I am totally lost when in comes to actually getting the job. I have no actual work experience in the medical field, just

a lot of education through EMT programs in high school, and college. Hopefully you all will be able to provide me with some good information and tips on how to get the ball rolling! I'm on pins and needles here just

itching to get out there. Any tips regarding how to get my foot in the door, making my resume stand out, and how to ace interviews would be much appreciated! Thanks for taking the time to read this, it means a lot.

-Lost in the valley!

How old are you?

Male or female?

What have you done for work before?

If you're smokin' hot add +5 points towards getting hired.

If you're a lesbian, add another +5 points. :-)

(EDIT: Smokin' hot lesbian is not my bias but that of EMS. I just wanted to make that clear. If you're smart, mentally strong, committed to EMS and education you can work with me anytime...easily...as there's really not a very long line of people waiting to work with me..ok, none...just sayin'.)

Lets start here and then there are many here that can help.

Dwayne

Edited by DwayneEMTP

How old are you?

Male or female?

What have you done for work before?

If you're smokin' hot add +5 points towards getting hired.

If you're a lesbian, add another +5 points. :-)

(EDIT: Smokin' hot lesbian is not my bias but that of EMS. I just wanted to make that clear. If you're smart, mentally strong, committed to EMS and education you can work with me anytime...easily...as there's really not a very long line of people waiting to work with me..ok, none...just sayin'.)

Lets start here and then there are many here that can help.

Dwayne

Dang well I guess you can take smokin' hot lesbian out of the equation....umm are you serious? haha.

Just imagine if someone took that advice seriously. That would be an interesting interview.

I am smart, very dedicated and I would definitely hope that those will be the reasons I get the job.

I am female and I'm 21.

I've worked mostly customer service and that's about it.

PS If anyone else can find me a good reason other than being hot and/or lesbian to get a job with EMS feel free to speak up. =]

...But seriously, folks...

While not saying you will not get hired, the lack of field experience will be a large hinderence. Most companies want people with the experience, but, in effect, tell you not to go near the water until AFTER you learn how to swim. That is a dumb statement, yet has a bunch of truth to it..

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome!

I too have mainly customer service experience and so I use that to my advantage. I don't care how smart you are, if you cannot make that connection to your patients, you are not going to last at a decent company for long. When I was sending out resumes and cover letters, I played to the fact that I have have been working in a customer service based environment for a number of years and talked about how that will help me connect with the people that the company serves. While you may not have medical experience, EMS is not solely about the medicine. It is also about being a person and connecting with your patients and getting them to trust you and allow you to do your job. You have to be able to put your patient at ease, and that is where your customer service experience will come in handy. So just play to your strengths. Don't make a big deal about not having medical experience. Just show them that you are a good person as well as a good medical provider.

Good luck with everything and hope that helps!

As a new EMT basic, you can be hired. There are many transport services that prefer a new fresh from the box Basic to train and teach their way of doing the job. It's easier than re=training someone with preordained bad habits.

If the evil empire has contracts in your area they require two things : A pulse & a Patch.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.