Transitioning from University Biology to Paramedics

Queens33

Hi I'm currently in my second year at Queens University in Ontario majoring in Biology, I'm trying to decide what the best route will be to becoming a paramedic. Should I finish my university degree and then start college, or try and transfer? I've heard Durham has a good program because it allows you to work across canada but I've also heard that you should generally go to school within the city you would like to work in. I would like to work in Toronto most likely but I like the program at durham and it would be financially cheaper for me... so I'm just wondering which program I should take at which school and whether I should try to transfer now or just start once I am finished with my university degree. Thanks so much in advance :)

-Ashliegh

I don't know much about EMS in Canada, But I think most people in here would agree, finish your degree! You are halfway done anyway, and you would certainly benefit from your education. And you always have the back round if you decide to want to go a different direction with your career. Good Luck!

Finish your degree!

You may feel now like it is 2 years that won't do you much good towards your career choice, but that just isn't true. Having your degree will open more doors, both in EMS, and elsewhere.

Having a degree means you have more education, and are more marketable, when compared to the person who has their EMS education only.

Having a degree is a prerequisite for a number of management positions, so years from now, when you decide your back has had enough of lifting patients, you will already have the degree, while others that you are working with are trying to get a degree while working so they can get into a management position.

Having a degree makes you more appealing to colleges as an EMS instructor, or to instruct entry level science courses. Some colleges require a minimum of a Masters, but a number still are happy with a Bachelors for teaching entry level stuff.

Keep your options open - and having a degree means more options!

Wish you all the best!

I've heard Durham has a good program because it allows you to work across Canada.

Ummm best check that out .. use the search engine here .. lots of info on that topic.

cheers and best advice get your bugs degree.

Ummm best check that out .. use the search engine here .. lots of info on that topic.

cheers and best advice get your bugs degree.

I would suggest considering this program through U of T Scarborough. You finish with a BSC and your Primary Care Paramedic. You should also be able to use some of the credits you've already earned towards its completion.

U of T/Centennial PCP Programme

Edited by rock_shoes

If you're considering the joint U of T program, please send me a PM.

The short answer to your question is that you should absolutely finish your degree. Not only does the job market in Ontario suck right now, but you will also be a better paramedic with that additional education (or at least a more knowledgable one). How many paramedics do you know who retire at 65? Not many make it that far. Your degree may prove to be useful at the start of your time in EMS when finding work in EMS will be a challenge at at the end of your career in EMS when you need to move to something else (since this will likely be long before a normal retirement age).

Durham is a good program. I believe that they are one of the two CMA accredited PCP programs in Ontario and this accreditation does make mobility within Canada a bit easier. You can definitely go to other provinces after attending a non-CMA accredited program though. There may be more hoops to jump through, but nothing impossible. I know a number of people from non-CMA accredited Ontario programs who are working outside of Ontario (mainly out east).

In terms of going to school where you want to work, yes this is generally true. I would say that it applies even more outside of large cities though. In smaller services, they may only have a handful of students ride with them and as long as they don't screw up, they may be the first in line for the jobs. Still, I do agree that it is generally better to go to school where you want to work. Durham, being a decent program and located in the GTA would not put you at much (if any) of a disadvantage when applying to Toronto EMS though compared to Humber or Centennial. Most of the older guys in Toronto likely went to Humber or Centennial, but they definitely hire Durham grads these days.

Most of all though, do not leave university without a degree. EMS may seem like fun, and it is, but you need to plan both for the difficult job market and the long term reality that people don't last in EMS. And if the U of T program interests you and you have questions, send me a PM.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.