Do your feet hurt after a shift ?

Hi,

I developed painful plantar faciitus as a result from running while trying to get in shape for paramedic school acceptance. The long and short of it is I have tried EVERY therapy and treatment available to no avail.... my feet are still extremely painful after extended periods of standing (approx 2 hours or so)

Are medics on their feet for continuous hours or do they have the ability to sit and/or rest them ?

Are you feet aching at the end of a shift ?

Help

Thanks

Well, I'm not an EMT yet, but where I work it's 8 hours before you even get to think about sitting. The best thing I've found is good shoe insoles. After 4 years of this, my feet are iron. But I'll admit that after a long day, after I've sat for a few minutes, my feet start to ache for a bit. Try some insoles and maybe get some better shoes.

*EVERY* therapy and treatment? Tell me, did you continue to work out and aggravate the injury while trying *EVERY* therapy and treatment out there? Were you running in the right shoes? Are you still wearing those shoes? Strassburg sock at night?

Plantar fasciitis takes a long time to heal. It's usually several months worth of RICE therapy combined with PT, NSAID use and just plain avoiding anything that would aggravate it.

That being said:

Are medics on their feet for continuous hours or do they have the ability to sit and/or rest them ?

Yes.

Are you feet aching at the end of a shift ?

Sometimes.

And what's with people putting spaces between the last word in a question and the question mark? I've noticed several people doing this recently.

And what's with people putting spaces between the last word in a question and the question mark? I've noticed several people doing this recently.

Good question. All those years of education and I don't recall once ever being told to put a space before a "?".

Definitely depends on the shift at hand. There are events where sitting is a luxury. Then, there are shifts where my butt takes the brunt of the ache. :P

my feet are still extremely painful after extended periods of standing (approx 2 hours or so)

I recommend a trip to your podiatrist and then maybe a look at your foot wear. They may simply not be appropriate for what you are doing.

Most work shoes are made for durability and/or protection, not for comfort or ergonomics. You say that you were injured trying to get in shape for paramedic school, so I assume you have been working as an EMT for some period of time. What shoes are you using now?

Running for Paramedic school? Wow! That's some requirement. Luckily, I just had to study and pass a 250 written exam. In addition, to an adult & child oral senarios.

The question asked is very selective; depending on region, service, & position. Mainly, we get to sit but we don't sit all the time. Medical problems can develop but it is by a person and case basis. Stress can be present co-morbidity. Communicable diseases will be encountered. So many factors to take into consideration besides a foot thing.

What else is required to gain acceptance into the school? Are there any other exams? Pre-requisites? Where is this school? Good luck. All the best....

I have seen a podiatrist, pedorthist, orthopedic surgeon and GP...

I have the correct footwear and was running in the correct footwear under the guidance of my personal trainer and running coach... I currently have 2 custom orthotics, do physio therapy, laser therapy , massage therapy and have been using the RICE method since the onset of the injury. I have looked at almost all treatments, socks, shoes, NSAIDS the list goes on and on. at this point and given all the treatments I have used I am trying to look realistically at the issues I might encounter with my feet (Yes I have considered all the other things mentioned, at this point I am strictly focused on my foot). This problem started July of last year to no avail the treatments are not working....

I am trying to get into my local college's paramedic course where there is a fitness test which requires running among other things...

I appreciate your input.....

Maybe you should look into programs that don't have a running requirement for admissions... I am all for companies having requirements to ensure their employees are in shape, but needing to run a certain distance under a certain arbitrary time is frustrating. I was in excellent shape (world level competitor for my sport) and I still couldn't run a mile under 9:30... Most programs do not have a requirement for fitness, if anything they make you pass a lifting test, but nothing else.

Richard, it is Rest Ice Compression Elevation

Straasburg sock at night

Go to a podiatrist and get his suggestions for shoes. Make sure the sole does not have much give in it.

Running for now is out, all you will while running is aggavate it.

Ibuprofen

The absolute best treatment out there bar none is the strassburg sock. And if that doesn't work, amputation and prosthetics (kidding)

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.