NYC EMS Change

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local-beat/New-EMS-Chief-Named-One-Week-After-Blizzard-112977039.html

Finally! He's gone... He was egotistical, selfish, powered driven, money hungry, unprofessional punk. He never should have been promoted to Chief. He was a bad Capt who made advances to his female subordinates; he was transfered from station to station, divisions to divisions... Good for him; maybe NYC EMS will change for the good of the people...

That all may be true, but the fact that they are blaming him for the ambulances gettign stuck in unplowed strrets ,, is kind of like blaming the fire dept. if the water company turns off the water in the middle of a fire and the whole block goes up........

I do not think the current replacement is much better. IMHO

Well, someone needed to be a scapegoat. Problem is, this was a disaster type situation that taxed all the resources of the city. All the folks who call because they have an "owie" on their finger, or they needed a ride for a check up felt put out and will complain. They honestly don't care about anyone else or they would never abuse the system in the first place. Yes, I'm sure folks with serious problems also suffered, but come on. How many calls in a typical day could be seen as true emergencies? Boil it all down and see how many people actually NEEDED an ambulance vs how many were simply using it status quo- as an expensive taxi, and couldn't care less if the city was up for grabs?

Sounds like they were also looking for an excuse to get rid of the guy and the snowstorm was simply a gift that gave them political cover.

No political cover needed, Chief officers serve at the will or the Mayor.

Also 3 people died during the storm including a new born baby,, so ther were at least 3 real emergencies during the storm.....

I have NO IDEA what FDNY did during this incident, but during the last big sotrm I worked in Jan 96, when we got almost as much if not more than this storm, WE had National Guard 4x4 Hummers and each station had a 4x4 plow truck, ambulances kept to the main road, and called for a boss to come ina 4x4 to plow the road to gain access to the patient, if we could not get in by plow, the Hummer went in, We also carried tow chains in all the bosses trucks, as well as the Hummers.

Can anyone for FDNY-EMAS tell us what snow preparations were made during this storm ???

From where I am sitting it does not sound like a lot was planned.

Hello all ,

Im new here and this is way off topic however , it has to do with the NYS EMS . I am moving to NYC from Ohio and i currently hold an EMT cert and will be taking my medic at NYMH . My question is what is REMAC? Do i need this cert to be able to get reciprosity in NYC ? I hope not lol. Anyways , i cant wait to hopfully get employment there and share my skills and save some live LMAO ... well transport some lives more like it right ? lol

thanks all ,

Nate

Check the link; the President of DC-37 goes on for 8mins about what was done.... Magic 8 Ball is a great idea.... FDNY EMS called my company at 3am for Mutual Aide; that's a little too late...

Check www.nycremsco.org

Its the EMS governing body for the 5 Boroughs (Counties) of NYC. The test is not easy. Good luck with the medic class at Methodist; FYI it doesn't have the best reputation among EMS Academias... LGCC and BMCC offer the best programs in NYC...

In New York City, Regional Emergency Medical Service Councils (REMSCO) are the local units of the State Emergency Medical Service Council (SEMSCO). If you're a Paramedic, expect to also be doing business with the Regional Emergency Medical Advisory Committee (REMAC).

Then, there's NYC OEM and NY State OEM, the Office of Emergency Management.

LGCC is LaGuardia Community College, BMCC is Borough of Manhattan Community College, by the way.

Edited by Richard B the EMT

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.