Advice

ant 6.0

Ok... The first couple of insults were already overboard. I think he's got it... We all need to support each other; not ridicule one another...

Insults? Seriously?

He got the support he came here for. He asked his questions and got answers. Just because he didn't like the answers doesn't mean he wasn't supported.

EMS is Every Member Strong...

Um... no. EMS = Emergency Medical Services.

... we need to help and support one another, to make each other stronger... We need to save the energy; negative or positive, to fight for progress in EMS...

Sometimes the best progress for EMS comes in the form of weeding out those who are in this for the wrong reasons. I'm not sure what the OP's reasons are. But to express desire in his/her very first post that a major concern is available OT then one has to question the motivation.

What he wrote was fine...

No, it wasn't. Grammar, punctuation and spelling are important. In fact, this has come up very recently in several threads here by a poster who was misunderstood from the very beginning simply because he wrote like he was a 12 year old sending text messages. The OP here made several references to items that only s/he knew the meaning of expecting people to somehow understand what was typed. If nobody understands what you're trying to communicate the problem doesn't lie with everyone else... it lies with the one trying to send the message.

This forum is for EMS education, awareness, social networking, fun, news relay, & support purposes...

Sometimes support doesn't come in the form of rainbows and cotton candy. Sometimes, a slap in the face is the best support someone can receive.

Many are right about the uncommon abbreviations he used but we don't need to beat it to death...

In this particular case we might have to. The OP is claiming to have made statements that appear nowhere in the original post. *Then* the OP copped an attitude when questioned. If beating it to death makes it clear that coming across as a junior high student is inappropriate, especially when asking for employment advice, then it needs to be done. Otherwise, especially given the attitude, I don't this s/he will get it.

If you really want to make a good living, you will look to another field of trade besides being an EMT-B.

Burger flippers at mickey D's start at a higher hourly wage. Even the stock boys AT WALLY MART make MORE PER HOUR .

Not being harsh , just giving you a Reality check.

You will find that we don't spend a whole lot of time sugar coating things or blowin smoke up your ass to make you feel good about life.

IMO, when a company has a lot of OT available, that should be a HUGE red flag for you. When they have a ton of OT, it is because they don't have enough people to staff it adequately. Since there is an overabundance of qualified EMT-Bs everywhere you look, this is usually because the company doesn't treat their employees well. When/ If you finish your EMT class, look for a company that doesn't have much OT for a full time job, and possibly pick up a second job for OT. But first you need to start the class, see if you are good at it and like it, and make sure EMS is really for you. I think you are putting the cart a little in front of the horse here...

Hello all I am a week away from starting an emt-b course and wanted to ask a few questions about what comes next as far choosing a good company to work for. im looking for a place where overtime is always available not only so i can support myself but also to rack up xp quickly. can anyone offer advice to an up and comer in the chi?

Well first off, I'm sorry people are giving you a hard time...that is NOT what EMS is all about! I met some of the most amazing people while on my ride outs for my EMT course. The people that you will meet will be more than happy to answer your questions and help you out, so don't let a couple of unfriendly comments turn you off to this life.

And honestly, I would not start worrying about where you want to work until you actually pass the NREMT. I don't know how it works in Chicago, but here in California we have to do so many hours of ride outs with the local ambulance companies/fire departments, and I assume the same is true anywhere. These ride outs will give you a good idea of how your local companies work. And while I only spent 12 hours with most of the companies, I still was able to get a sense of where I would want to be employed, and where I would not be a good fit. So while it is nice that you are looking into this now, you have a long road ahead of you and will have plenty of time to figure out good companies to work for. I have found that most places offer some sort of over time, but it is not offered constantly. The good companies are staffed well and therefore over time is usually offered when someone calls out or a holiday comes around and they need as many bodies as they can get. Another thing to consider is where do you want to be in life? Do you want to only work as an EMT, or do you want to go on and be a paramedic, nurse, doc, etc? You will want to think about working at a company that you are a good match with and that will work with you in your goals for your future. And that may not mean promoting you into a paramedic position if you become an EMT-P, but at least be willing to consider moving you up if and when that time comes.

Good luck with your class and with whatever you decide!

paramedicmike; I'm not going to respond to your thread. You're entitled to do what you did.

That being said; "Um'" not a word. We all can pick at the littlest thing.

However, thank you for telling us EMS means Emergency Medical Services. I never said it didn't; I used the proper abbreviation. Did I?

Lastly, thank you. All the best.

However, your right with what you posted...

However, you're right with what you posted...

However, you're right with what you posted...

• Like 1

Actually I think Mike's spot on in his criticism but you have to see it from his and my perspective.

We were brought up in a educational system where texting was NOT an accepted grammatical form of communication for both general speak or term papers.

In public education and in society today it is acceptable to use texting as your chosen form of communication.

But I do take some issue to your comments regarding Chicago not being in his post.

According to the Texting dictionary of global knowledge ISBN 0199283928838 -

Chi-

approved abbreviation for the following

Chiggars

Chinese

Chintz

Chicago

Chicken gumbo

Chicken soup

Chitlins

Chariot

and to many others to note.